- Email: John.Terpstra@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 219.440.0606
- Fax: 219.440.0601
John R. Terpstra practices in the areas of Corporate Law, Complex Business & Commercial Litigation, Trade Secrets and Non-Compete disputes, Trusts and Estates, and Real Estate as a partner in the Northwest Indiana office of Lewis Brisbois. Mr. Terpstra develops client-focused strategies to maximize client goals and outcomes from the early stages of business formation through maturity and merger or sale. As an entrepreneur himself, Mr. Terpstra understands first-hand the challenges, stresses, and joy of business leadership, operation, and growth. He also manages litigation matters with a careful eye toward the ultimate business goals of the client in balance with financial impact and beneficial results.
John's specific areas of experience include real estate development, restaurant development and management, foodservice regulation and licensing, manufacturing, business structures and operating agreements or bylaws, automobile dealership and repair, hospitality, acquisitions and mergers, new ventures, wealth planning and preservation, corporate finance and commercial lending, and land acquisition.
Mr. Terpstra is the author of a synopsis of current pharmacy law in the state of Indiana on behalf of a national pharmacy franchise.
Actively involved in his church, and enjoys instructing and working with young people. He leads a Bible study group for young adults.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
United States Bankruptcy Courts
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Lake County Bar Association
- President, Crown Point Christian School Board of Trustees
- Finance Deacon, Bethel Church Crown Point
- Presenter, National Business Institute
DePaul University College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2007
Indiana University Kelley School of Business
Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship and Marketing, 2003
Mr. Terpstra’s clients span a variety of industries, including food service, physicians, clinical healthcare, sports and wholesale distributors. Representative examples of his effective defense counsel include the following:
- Obtained complete abatement of substantial IRS tax assessment against spouse of corporate shareholder electing S-Corp status through argument of innocent spouse.
- Successfully assisted in closing a highly contentious and litigious asset and real property purchase of a successful local restaurant.