- Email: Matt.Taggart@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.680.5050
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Matt Taggart is a Partner in the Los Angeles Office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation and National Trial Practices. He is also a member of the Labor & Employment, Class Action, and Antitrust & Competition Practices.
Mr. Taggart is an AV-rated attorney with more than 17 years of experience representing corporations and individuals in complex federal and state court litigation. From 2003-2010, Taggart was a litigation associate at a prestigious Los Angeles-based national law firm. From 2011-2015, he was a senior litigation associate for two Washington D.C.-based national firms.
A first chair trial lawyer, Mr. Taggart has tried more than a half-dozen cases to judgment in federal and state courts across a broad spectrum of substantive areas, including contracts, real estate, torts, employment, tax, and criminal law. Mr. Taggart is a 2010 graduate of the Trial Advocacy Project ("TAP") and has tried several criminal cases for the Los Angeles City Attorney's office. He has extensive additional trial training including the intensive NITA Trial Skills program.
Mr. Taggart is a seasoned employment litigator and has handled more than 50 employment lawsuits, including wage and hour class actions, representative actions under California's Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA), as well as individual claims for discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and failure to pay overtime. Most recently, on March 5, 2020, Mr. Taggart obtained summary adjudication of consolidated claims for waiting time penalties, failure to pay wages, and failure to provide accurate wage statements. In April 2019, he successfully obtained non-certification of a large wage and hour class action brought on behalf of non-exempt workers. In August 2018, Taggart obtained summary adjudication of all plaintiff's claims for disability discrimination and failure to accommodate under California's Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).
Mr. Taggart also has extensive experience with writs and appeals as well, having handled successful appeals to the United States Courts of Appeal for both the Fifth and Ninth Circuits as well as the California Court of Appeal. He handled several pro bono appeals through the Ninth Circuit Pro Bono Program and has argued before the Ninth Circuit on three separate occasions.
Mr. Taggart also has unique transactional and business experience, having most recently served as General Counsel of a mid-sized manufacturing company from 2018-2021.
- Title II of the ADA After Garrett: Defective Abrogation of Sovereign Immunity and its Remedial Impact, 91 Cal. L. Rev. 827, 2003
- Contributor, ANTITRUST DISCOVERY HANDBOOK (Third ed. 2013), American Bar Association
- Contributor, 2010 ANNUAL REVIEW OF ANTITRUST LAW DEVELOPMENTS, American Bar Association
- Clayworth v. Pfizer and the Curious Case of the Pass-On Defense, Antitrust, Fall 2011
- Impeachment at Trial, Los Angeles Lawyer, Oct. 2015
- How to Prepare for and Manage Expert Depositions, Los Angeles Lawyer, Aug. 2012
- Totally Exhausted: Exhaustion of Administrative Remedies, Los Angeles Lawyer, Dec. 2010
- How the Central District Stacks Up: By the Numbers, FBA Newsletter, May 2013
- Gauging Organizational Exposure to Environmental Criminal Liability, American Bar Association White Collar Institute, 2004
Foreign Language Capabilities
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
United States Supreme Court
United States Tax Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- Labor & Employment Section, California State Bar
Awards & Honors
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell, 2019-present
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2020-present
UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
Juris Doctor, 2003
New York University
Master of Arts, 1996