- Email: Sana.Suhail@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1375
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Sana Suhail is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Construction and General Liability Practices. She handles a wide range of complex litigation matters. Sana has defended numerous general liability and construction/labor law cases for building owners and contractors involving personal injury and property damage claims. Her civil defense practice also includes experience with wrongful death claims, Section 1983 constitutional claims, maritime law and premises liability suits. Sana has successfully argued appeals before the First and Second Appellate Departments and has helped secure many important wins and settlements for her clients. She has experience in all phases of litigation before both federal and state courts.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Sana’s practice focused on general insurance defense litigation related to New York labor law, wrongful death, asbestos and toxic tort, and premises liability. While at her former firm, Sana’s clients included a large Canadian multinational financial services company and a citywide owner of Section 8 developments. Sana’s prior experience also includes working on behalf of foster children in situations involving child abuse or neglect at the Administration for Children’s Services.
Sana earned her undergraduate degree, magna cum laude from New York University and her Juris Doctor from St. John’s University, where she concentrated in Secured Transactions Law.
Maggio v 24 W. 57 APF, LLC 2015 NY Slip Op 09604 Decided on December 29, 2015 Appellate Division, First Department Published by New York State Law Reporting Bureau pursuant to Judiciary Law § 431
- Ms. Suhail defended a contractor in a large multi-million dollar property damage case with damages stemming from various ground settlements due to construction activity. Settlement reached for a high seven-figure amount among various defendants where our client was the only party that did not contribute towards settlement.
- In a labor law case in which plaintiff fell 18 feet while performing work on a steel beam settlement was reached after two weeks of trial for seven-figure amount with no contribution from our client. Attorney fee recovery secured following trial.
- Ms. Suhail settled a case at mediation for seven figures with less than five percent contribution on behalf of our client in a labor law case in which plaintiff fell and sustained multiple neck and back injuries.
- Case settled after jury selection for six figures, all paid by plaintiff’s employer with no contribution from our client. This was a labor law case in which plaintiff claimed he was struck by a falling object.
- Following argument before the First Department Appellate Court by Ms. Suhail, the court ruled that plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment was properly dismissed and determined that co-defendant seeking indemnity and contribution from our client were not entitled to either. This was a labor law stemming from a carpenter foreman’s fall from a scaffold.
- Court granted summary judgment dismissing all claims against our client in a multi-million dollar labor law case stemming from ironworker’s fall from a ladder.
- Received summary judgment dismissal of all claims against our client in a wrongful death case stemming from a collision between a city bus and a scissor lift operated by the decedent.
- Our client was granted summary dismissal of all labor law claims and co-defendant’s claims for indemnity and contribution against our client in a case involving a fall from a scaffold. Co-defendant owner’s motion to reargue dismissal of indemnity and contribution cross-claims against our client was denied.
- All third party claims against the insured subcontractor for contractual indemnification, contribution and breach of contract were dismissed in a labor law case arising from a fall from a ladder.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Volunteered at The New Sanctuary Coalition legal clinic assisting with language translation, asylum petitions and legal immigration cases (2018).
State Bar Admissions
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
New York State Bar Association Committee for Civil Rights
St. John's University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2007
New York University
Bachelor of Arts, 2004