- Email: Laurie.Stayton@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.358.6134
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Laurie N. Stayton is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. Laurie is a skilled trial attorney with over 15 years’ experience in all aspects of civil litigation. Laurie passionately represents client interests, working diligently to analyze case merits, minimize risk and propel positive resolutions to complex legal matters. Laurie is dedicated to client-focused service. She develops close relationships with each client she serves to ensure she has a deep understanding of the client’s business specifics and unique goals, needs and challenges.
Laurie has a proven track record for achieving positive early resolution of cases, which saves her clients money, reduces the pain of the litigation process, and salvages business relationships. Laurie regularly negotiates favorable settlements for her clients through alternative dispute resolution, as well as prevailing on dispositive motions, including demurrers, Anti-SLAPP motions, motions for summary judgment, motions for nonsuit, and motions for directed verdict.
When going to trial is inevitable, Laurie is courtroom ready and brings over a decade and a half of invaluable trial experience. Laurie is regularly hired into existing litigation, often on the eve of trial, to guarantee the best chance of success for her clients. Laurie has successfully tried more than fifteen jury trials through verdict, including obtaining numerous unanimous defense verdicts in multiple-million-dollar exposure cases and recovery of hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs and attorney fees for defense clients.
Laurie has also frequently served as primary counsel on appeals, handling matters from initial notice to final argument.
Laurie’s litigation practice involves the following types of claims:
Transportation & Logistics - Laurie has a wealth of knowledge and experience in all facets of transportation law and litigation representing a diverse body of transportation clients, ranging from for-hire and private trucking companies, railroads, consolidators, customs brokers and logistics companies. Most recently, Laurie successfully tried through verdict several commercial truck accident cases involving wrongful death, traumatic brain injury, and other serious personal injury claims.
Hospitality – Laurie zealously represents clients operating throughout the hospitality industry, including retail stores, hotels, bars, casinos, and restaurants across a wide variety of claims, including, but not limited to, premises liability, third person tort/assault, Dram Shop and security guard liability.
Complex Business and Commercial - Laurie handles all aspects of complex business and commercial litigation matters, including business, commercial and contract disputes, copyright, trademark and licensing infringement, trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and misrepresentation, interference with contracts and business relationships, professional liability, and other business torts.
General Liability - In her general liability practice, Laurie handles an array of construction, subrogation, toxic tort, premise and product liability, assault/battery, negligence and public liability cases for public and private corporations, charitable organizations, educational and nonprofit institutions, municipalities, governmental agencies, and individual enterprises.
Author, “The Collateral Source Rule: A Compendium of State Law,” Defense Research Institute's Defense Library Series, 2012
Presenter, “Trial Preparation: Motions in Limine, Evidence, Witness Lists, Trial Brief, Jury Instructions,” Clark Hill Academy, 2019
State Bar Admissions
State Supreme Courts
- California Supreme Court
State Appellate Courts
- California Courts of Appeal
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2005
- Dean’s Honor List
- Traynor Honor Society
- McCarthy Foundational Memorial Scholarship for exceptional academic ability
California State University, Chico
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with Paralegal Certificate, 2002
National Dean’s List
CSU–Chico Dean’s List
Edward Bronson Scholarship for outstanding academic and leadership achievements
- Tried to defense verdict in Compton, California a multi-plaintiff wrongful death and survival action involving a tractor-trailer versus bicyclist. Following the defense verdict, successfully received a judgment for defense costs and expert fees.
- On the eve of trial, hired as lead trial counsel to represent a tow-truck company in a catastrophic personal injury case venued in Bakersfield, California. Successfully prevailed on a motion for nonsuit after plaintiff presented her case-in-chief to the jury.
- Tried to defense verdict in San Luis Obispo, California a premises liability claim against a hospitality client. Following the unanimous defense verdict, prepared a post-trial motion to recover defense costs and experts’ fees, which the trial court granted. Plaintiff appealed both the jury’s verdict and the trial court’s post-trial order. Prepared the respondent briefs and argued the matters before the Court of Appeals. The Appellate Court affirmed both the defense verdict and the trial court’s award of defense costs and expert fees. Torres-Medina v. San Luis Bay Inn Timeshare Associated, Inc. (July 14, 2014) 2014 WL 3405873; Torres-Medina v. San Luis Bay Inn Timeshare Associated, Inc. (June 22, 2015) 2015 WL 3852978.
- Tried as lead counsel a multi-plaintiff assault and battery case arising from a confrontation between a pizza delivery driver and Plaintiffs. Following 45 minutes of deliberation, the jury returned a unanimous defense verdict. Prior to the jury trial, prevailed on a summary adjudication motion in favor of the restaurant client on all direct claims of negligence, negligent hiring, negligent training and supervision, negligent retention as well as punitive damages. Also obtained a nonsuit on plaintiffs’ claim for punitive damages against the driver and obtained an award for costs and expert fees for the clients.
- On the eve of trial, hired as trial counsel to represent a janitorial company in a trip and fall case venued in Downtown Los Angeles. Plaintiff claimed he sustained fractures in the fall and developed Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), a chronic pain condition. After a multi-week trial, the jury returned an unanimous defense verdict. Successfully recovered costs and experts fees for the client.
- Tried to defense verdict in Downtown Los Angeles a multi-plaintiff catastrophic personal injury case arising from a shooting in Tanzania, East Africa. While Plaintiffs were on a tour purchased from the client, an American tour operator, two criminals robbed and shot two of the Plaintiffs. Plaintiffs alleged the client tour operator’s negligence caused the incident and their resulting damages. Following a three-week trial, the jury returned a defense verdict. Successfully recovered costs and experts’ fees for the client.
- Tried to verdict a Federal Employer’s Liability Act (FELA), the Federal Safety Appliance Act, and CFR §49 case in behalf of a railroad client brought by its employee. Following a 15-day jury trial, the downtown Los Angeles jury agreed with the defense that the client did not violate the Federal Safety Appliance Act or the CFR §49 and awarded Plaintiff a mere fraction of his claimed damages under FELA and denied Plaintiff recovery of any costs and fees.
- Prevailed on an Anti-SLAPP motion in behalf of a restaurant client in a Malicious Prosecution claim arising from the restaurant calling the police following a confrontation between the restaurant’s delivery driver and Plaintiff. Successfully recovered costs and attorney fees for the client.
- Represented a retail market in a Trade Secret Misappropriation, Interference with Contract and Breach of Contract claim. Plaintiff also sought punitive damages and attorney fees. Following the preparation and filing of a Demurrer and Motion to Strike, Plaintiff dismissed the case against the clients.
- Represented a law firm and its attorney in an Intentional Interference of an Economic Advantage, Violation of the Tom Bane Act (Civ. Code §52.1), and Civil Conspiracy claim. Following the preparation and filing of an Anti-SLAPP motion, Plaintiff dismissed the case against the clients.
- On the eve of trial, hired as trial counsel to represent a commercial tour company in an ATV accident case involving a severe traumatic brain injury and other serious personal injuries of a seven-year-old girl. At the time the case was transferred to Laurie, the tour company did not have the proper experts to fully defend the matter and Plaintiff had already filed a motion for terminating sanctions alleging the client engaged in spoliation of evidence. After successfully defeating the Plaintiff’s motion for terminating sanctions and prevailing on a motion to allow the client to designate 13 defense experts, the case was successfully resolved through settlement, which protected the client from being exposed to a multi-million-dollar excess verdict.
- Prevailed on a summary judgment motion in favor of a storm drainage contractor client. The Cross-Complainants appealed the trial court’s ruling that the indemnity claims against the client failed as a matter of law. Prepared the respondent brief and argued the matter before the Court of Appeals. The Appellate Court agreed with the defense and the summary judgment was affirmed. Successfully recovered costs, attorney’s fees, and expert fees for the client. Admar Management Co. v. C.P. Construction, Inc. (April 20, 2012) 2012 WL 1377176.
- Prevailed on a summary judgment motion in behalf of the Director of the Federal High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) Program on a defamation claim venued in the United States District Court – Southern District of California. Successfully argued that the client’s alleged defamatory statements were privileged and protected under the “Official Duty” privilege as codified in California Civil Code Section 47.
- Prevailed on a summary judgment motion in favor of the client, a demolition contractor, arguing that the indemnity and breach of contract claims against the client failed as a matter of law. Successfully recovered costs and expert fees for the client.
- Hired as trial counsel into existing litigation to represent an online service provider in a copyright infringement case. Prior to engaging in extensive and expensive expert discovery and trial preparation, successfully resolved the case through mediation.