- Email: Ernest.Slome@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 619.699.4909
- Fax: 619.233.8627
Ernest Slome is a partner in the San Diego office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Appellate Practice and the Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation Practice. Mr. Slome’s practice is focused on civil appeals and writs and on matters involving environmental law and toxic torts.
- April 27, 2018 Calif. Court Affirms Summary Judgment in Personal Injury Suit
- April 05, 2017 Calif. Team Prevails in Another Asbestos Appeal
- March 30, 2017 Calif. Team Prevails in Asbestos Appeal
- Unico v. Homestead Insurance Company where the Plaintiff was a Liechtenstein Corporation owned by the Sultan of Brunei, the richest man in the world. Plaintiff owned two mansions in Beverly Hills, which he claimed, were severely damaged from the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Plaintiff made insurance claims to its insurer Homestead Insurance Company regarding such damages. Plaintiff alleged that Homestead unreasonably delayed in the handling of these claims and acted in bad faith. Plaintiff sought in excess of $1 million in compensatory damages and also punitive damages. Homestead denied that the delay was its fault, but rather maintained that any delay was as a result of plaintiff’s lack of cooperation during the appraisal process. After three full days of deliberations, the jury found that Homestead Insurance had not acted in bad faith and therefore awarded a verdict in favor of Homestead.
- Defended the former attorney for Ballard Smith, a past president of the San Diego Padres baseball team, in a legal malpractice action. Smith sued his attorney for failing to designate an expert witness on damages in an underlying trial in which Smith suffered a $4.2 million judgment. Jury verdict in favor of the defendant attorney was returned after a three-week trial.
- Defended Price Club/Costco, Inc. in a wrongful termination case which arose out of claims that the vendor was fraudulently induced to invest $250,000 in startup costs to establish a photographic “road show” in Price Club locations, only to be subjected to an arbitrary and wrongful termination. After a four-week trial, the jury awarded a defense verdict.
- Defended a $145 million reinsurance bad faith claim brought by the Department of Insurance on behalf of Mission Insurance Company against nineteen reinsurers. The case was tried before three retired judges over an eighteen month period. The three-judge panel sustained the reinsurers defenses of fraud and violation of the securities laws and rendered judgment for the defendants. In a related claim against the directors and officers of Mission, obtained a $26 million recovery from their errors and omissions insurer.
- Presently trial counsel for Northrop Grumman in defense of environmental litigation brought by Orange County Water District against multiple corporations arising out of alleged VOC contamination of the Orange County aquifer.
Mens Rea and Knowledge of Unlawfulness in Statutory Offenses, SOUTH AFRICAN JOURNAL, Vol. 94:86
State Bar Admissions
San Diego County Bar Association
University of Witwatersrand
Legum Baccalaureus, 1969
University of Witwatersrand
Bachelor of Arts, 1966