- Email: Howard.Slavin@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.680.5160
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Howard Slavin is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Healthcare Practice. He has more than 40 years of experience as a trial lawyer. His practice emphasizes the defense of physicians, dentists and other healthcare professionals in malpractice matters, as well as defending personal injury claims with large financial exposure arising from environmental and toxic torts, products, premises and aviation liability. He frequently is requested to represent and defend healthcare providers (physicians, dentists, optometrists) who are the subject of accusations brought by the various state licensing boards who seek to impose administrative law discipline.
With more than 30 years of flying experience, Mr. Slavin has defended numerous aviation liability cases involving allegations of pilot error, as well as product liability matters involving large commercial carriers and general aviation manufacturers as well as A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) Certificate holders who repair or modify aircraft. Mr. Slavin has defended commercial and general aviation pilots in disciplinary actions instituted by the Federal Aviation Administration concerning violations of Federal Aviation Regulations (F.A.R.’s). He also represents pilots who contest disqualification or restriction of their flying privileges by the Federal Aviation Administration due to physical or mental health issues.
Mr. Slavin has tried in excess of 150 cases to jury verdict in Courts of general jurisdiction, and numerous multi-day arbitrations.
Mr. Slavin has given over 100 lectures and presentations, in and outside of California, to Physicians, Hospital Personnel, Insurance Carrier Representatives, Lawyers, Judges and Law Students (detailed list available on request).
State Bar Admissions
United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Supreme Court
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the District of The Virgin Islands
United States Supreme Court
United States District Court of California-Northern District of California
United States District Court of California-Central District of California
District Court of the United States Virgin Islands
- American Board of Trial Advocates, (ABOTA), 1973-present
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- California Medical-Legal Committee
- Member: Los Angeles County Superior Court Bench-Bar Civil Liaison Committee
- Member: Editorial Board-Annals of Ophthalmology/Glaucoma, 1997 to present
- Arbitrator: National Panel of American Arbitration Association
- Holder Private Pilot Certificate with Instrument Rating: Owner and Operator of Single Engine Airplane
- Football Official (Side Judge #29) National Football League, 1987-1999
- Replay Official, National Football League, 1999-present
- Member: Airplane Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
- Member: National Football League Referees’ Association (NFLRA)
Awards & Honors
- Recipient: American Jurisprudence Award for Evidence; Future Interests in Real and Personal Property; and Products Liability Law
- Listed: Los Angeles Super Lawyers, 2006-present;
- Rated: AV Preeminent, 5.0 out of 5.0
- AV Preeminent are certification marks of Reed Elsivier Properties, Inc. used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
California College of Law
Juris Doctor, 1967
University of Southern California
Bachelor of Science, 1963