- Email: Lovee.Sarenas@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.599.7884
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Lovee Sarenas is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Bankruptcy & Insolvency Practice that focuses on mid-market business reorganizations and trustee representation.
For 20 years, Ms. Sarenas has focused her practice representing corporate and individual debtors in the tech industry, wine industry and publications, institutional banks and creditors, committees of unsecured creditors, turnaround professionals and fiduciaries in chapter 7 liquidations and chapter 11 reorganizations cases, out-of-court workouts, and corporate wind downs. As DIP counsel, she represented Commerce One, Inc. in the sale of its web services patent with an estimated value at $1 million which sold for $15.5 million thereby resulting in a 100% distribution to unsecured creditors and assisted the Legacy Group in the reorganization of the Freemark Abbey winery in Napa, CA. As a restructuring attorney, she aims to develop cost-effective and efficient solutions to a client's financial situation.
Since joining Lewis Brisbois, she has represented the OCC of Cornerstone, Inc. in a $9.5 million settlement distribution to unsecured creditors; helped defend an aviation client in a fraudulent transfer claim that reduced a $5 million claim to a de minimus settlement amount; and has successfully defended several institutional clients against preference claims. Her practice includes representing bankruptcy trustees in the administration of chapter 7 cases and in various bankruptcy-related litigation.
She is the first Filipino-American to have served as a judicial clerk for two bankruptcy judges: the Honorable Ellen A. Carroll (ret.) and the Honorable Richard M. Neiter (ret.) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. Prior to her clerkship with Judge Neiter, Ms. Sarenas practiced as a restructuring attorney for a prominent chapter 11 boutique bankruptcy firm in Northern California.
Ms. Sarenas is a member of the USC Gould School of Law adjunct faculty teaching international LLM students and an adjunct professor of bankruptcy law at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles where she teaches to upper-division law students.
Ms. Sarenas enjoys playing golf with her two young daughters and husband, traveling and volunteering.
- Conference Co-chair, California Bankruptcy Forum Annual Conference, 2020
- Education Co-chair, California Bankruptcy Forum Annual Conference, 2019
- Co-chair of the Consumer Bankruptcy Program, California Bankruptcy Forum Annual Conference, 2018
- Speaker, Educational Luncheon Program on bankruptcy law with LA Superior Court Judges, Santa Monica Courthouse, April 6, 2015
- Speaker, Bankruptcy: An In-Depth Guide, February 7, 2008 (Pincus Education Seminar)
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- Los Angeles Bankuptcy Forum, Board Member, 2017-2021
- UPAAGLA, Board Member, 2019-2021
- Los Angeles Catholic Lawyers Association
- Financial Lawyers Conference
- United States Bankruptcy Courts’ Bankruptcy Forms Modernization Project member, 2010
- Task Force on Chapter 11 Individual Cases, United States Bankruptcy Court-Central District member, 2010
Awards & Honors
- John Schumacher Leadership Scholarship Award
- Southwestern Journal of Law and Trade in the Americas
- Phi Kappa Phi International Honor Society
- Pi Gamma Mu International Social Science Honor Society
Southwestern Law School
Juris Doctor, 1999
University of the Philippines
Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 1995