- Email: Paul.Rupprecht@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2000
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Paul J. Rupprecht is a Partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois as a member of the aviation, general liability and insurance defense areas of practice.
Based on his military, commercial, and general aviation training, as well as serving in progressive leadership roles in the aerospace, engineering and fire and safety industries, Mr. Rupprecht has successfully represented diverse aviation clients in a variety of environments.
Mr. Rupprecht held qualifications in the United States Air Force as a C-130 tactical airlift aircraft commander and led many missions during both war and peace time. Thereafter, he qualified as an FAA commercial airline transport pilot, served as a Part 121 flight instructor and evaluation pilot at United Airlines, while still serving in the U.S. Air Force Reserves at the Chicago O’Hare and Colorado Springs Peterson units. As a result of 9/11 and while furloughed from United Airlines, Mr. Rupprecht was engaged by Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver, Colorado, as a senior systems engineer and served as the team lead in charge of the launch vehicle and satellite readiness and ground systems engineering teams, while attending the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in the evenings.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Rupprecht has served as General Counsel for an aircraft leasing and Part 135 charter services company and provided guidance and counsel on employment, workers’ compensation, corporate transactions and resolutions, litigation and settlement matters.
Based on his legal and technical background, Mr. Rupprecht has successfully represented clients in other industries, including transportation, construction defect, oil and gas, and professional and product liability, involving matters of personal injury, wrongful death, property loss, product defect, and premises liability. By combining his engineering, military and civil aviation, and legal experience, Mr. Rupprecht has been very successful in representing his clients, resolving disputes, and leading his clients towards successful outcomes.
Mr. Rupprecht enjoys spending time with his family and otherwise volunteers his time as a scoutmaster, merit badge counselor, and shooting sports instructor and coach for local youth shooting teams.
- Transportation Law Journal: “Bridge Failures in the United States Potential Remedies for Injured Parties Case Study: I-35W Minneapolis Bridge Collapse”
- Colorado Pilots Association Flight Lines: “What’s Your Angle – General Aviation Angle of Attack Indicators”
- Law Week Colorado: “To Be or Not to Be: College Athletic Unions?”
National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), Advanced Deposition Course
August 1989 - August 1999: U.S. Air Force Reserve, Military Lead Tactical Airlift Aircraft Commander on Lockheed C-130H aircraft.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Scouts of America Scoutmaster and Asst. Scoutmaster, Venture Crew Committee Member, and Cub Scout Adult Leader.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Colorado Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Experimental Aircraft Association
- Aircraft & Ownership Aircraft & Ownership
Awards & Honors
- Pi Tau Sigma National Honorary Mechanical Engineering Society
- Tau Beta Pi National Honorary Engineering Society
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2010
Transportation Law Journal, Staff Editor, Technical Editor and Executive Editor
Illinois Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1985
- Rhodes Scholarship Candidate
- Lincoln Academy-Illinois Student Laureate Award
- Represented helicopter pilot that incurred physical injuries against an action filed by the airplane pilot due to a mid-air collision between the two aircraft resulting in withdrawal of claims at mediation.
- Represented decedent pilot’s estate against wrongful death claims by decedent occupants’ families resulting in total defense verdict.
- Represented a medevac helicopter carrier against a wrongful death case which resulted in low settlement amount.
- Advised insurance carrier on coverage analysis regarding airport operator’s request for defense against homeowners for alleging excessive noise pollution from operator’s aircraft.
- Represented a general aviation aircraft owner acquire full ownership of his aircraft from former aircraft co-owner.
- Advised Part 91 commercial pilot in submitting petition for relief to address U.S. Customs & Border Patrol notice of penalty due to an alleged unscheduled arrival from foreign departure.
- Drafted Parts 91 and 135 aircraft lease, aircraft purchase, aircraft ownership, hangar lease, and independent contractor agreements.
- Resolved insurance disputes related to insurance payout of proceeds to aircraft owners after aircraft engine failure and total hull damage.
- Updated an aviation flight school’s operations and employment /contractor handbooks.
- Represented a brazed aluminum heat exchanger manufacturer in a subrogation matter against a $20M dispute due to alleged loss of production and property damages resulting in a stipulated dismissal by opposing party.
- Represented a vendor client in a construction defect set of claims by a homeowners’ association resulting in a very successful settlement.
- Represented a natural gas compressor manufacturer against a defective product manufacture claim due to the alleged failure of the unit causing personal injuries to a contractor resulting in dismissal of client, as production company did not follow commissioning checklist on unit.
- Represented a petroleum field services company in defense against personal injury claims by field workers of another entity injured during an explosion of a 300-barrel condensate tank during cleaning operations resulting in a shared defendants’ settlement.
- Represented at trial and on appeal food manufacturer against personal injury claims from pulmonary dysfunction allegedly due to manufacturer’s failure to warn the harmful effects of inhaling butter flavoring ingredient, which resulted in a reasonable settlement.
- Represented medical device manufacturers against claims of defective manufacturing of portable oxygen concentrators and generators resulting in no or low settlement amounts on behalf of clients.
- Represented a product manufacturer against a consumer claiming permanent physical injuries due to an allegedly failed product.
- Represented several landowners from premises liability and negligent personal injury claims due to slip and fall or other personal injury incident resulting in dismissal of claims or reasonable settlement amounts.
- Represented a bowling establishment against a guest claiming personal injuries from entering and slipping on the oiled bowling lane resulting in minimal settlement.
- Represented client electronic navigation device manufacturer against alleged defective product installed in a semi-tractor trailer engine compartment resulting in dismissal due to causation of fire determined as other defendant’s defective product manufacture of its bus module against water penetration.
- Represented gaseous and liquid oxygen cylinder manufacturer against property damage claims allegedly due to defective manufacture of cylinders causing total loss of light-duty truck from the ensuing fire accelerated by oxygen chemical leakage resulting in dismissal of client.
- Advised insurance carrier to settle subrogation matter due to negligence of insured in low property damages amount from water intrusion of medical equipment caused by insured.
- Represented plaintiff tenant against landlord due to traumatic personal injuries caused by rental property not properly electrically grounded resulting in substantial settlement to client.
- Represented student plaintiffs in civil rights claims against university for mistreatment by campus police.