- Email: William.Richards@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 714.966.3177
- Fax: 714.850.1030
William (Bill) Richards, Jr. is a partner at Lewis Brisbois, and a member of the Employment Law practice group. His practice focuses primarily on employment litigation, which largely encompasses defending employers in all stages of litigation regarding a variety of claims, including wage and hour violations, wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, unfair business practices, and other employment-related matters. Mr. Richards has successfully represented clients in state and federal court, binding arbitration, and administrative proceedings (i.e., Labor Commissioner), with experience handling individual cases, complex class actions, and representative actions (i.e., under PAGA). He has argued before U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California, Eastern District of New York, and District of Massachusetts, as well as the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, Washington Court of Appeal (Commissioner), and several California Superior Courts (i.e., San Diego, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino, etc.).
In addition to ample experience managing heavy litigation caseloads, Mr. Richards also provides counseling and transactional services for employers on a wide array of personnel matters, such as employment contracts, employee handbooks, company policies and procedures, arbitration agreements, severance packages, terminations, wage and hour regulations, human resources management, employee disabilities, leaves of absence, and more. He also previously served as the Employment and Labor Law Compliance Officer for a San Diego employment/consumer protection class action law firm, where he was responsible for ensuring firm-wide compliance with all federal, state, and local employment/labor law regulations.
After earning his B.S. in Business Administration (Mgmt.), Mr. Richards graduated law school magna cum laude, ranking in the top 10% of his graduating class and making either the Honor Roll or Distinguished Honor Roll list every semester. While attending law school, he received the highest grade in multiple courses, earning him numerous awards for each. Mr. Richards also served as an editor for Law Review, was elected to the Student Bar Association and Community Events Committee, served as a Teaching Assistant for a Federal Rules of Evidence course for three consecutive semesters, interned for the San Diego Office of the Primary Public Defender, and attended a winter intersession program with Pepperdine University School of Law to study Negotiation Theory and Practice.
In his free time, Mr. Richards enjoys spending quality time with his wife and four-legged child—a Bengal cat with a devoted social media following, as well as serving as a volunteer foster for orphaned pets. As a self-proclaimed music aficionado, he also has a passion for playing acoustic guitar, and was formerly a drummer. Finally, Mr. Richards has been an avid artist since he was a young child, providing commissioned artwork in various mediums for numerous well-known companies.
- William B. Richards Jr., California Supreme Court Limits PAGA Penalties, Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP (September 13, 2019)
- William B. Richards Jr., SCOTUS Expands Limitations on Class Arbitration, Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP (April 24, 2019)
- William B. Richards Jr., California’s Supreme Court Rules Workers are “Presumptively” Employees and are Independent Contractors Only on Strict Conditions, Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP (May 1, 2018)
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Volunteer foster for orphaned and abandoned pets.
William B. Richards Jr., Lecture at Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP: New Developments in California and Federal Civil Procedure (Feb. 6, 2019)
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
Awards & Honors
- Rising Star - Super Lawyers Magazine (2020-2021)
- Top Attorney Award - Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP (2019)
Thomas Jefferson School of Law, May 2013
- Magna Cum Laude (top 10%)
- Thomas Jefferson Law Review – Editor: Spring 2013; Staff Associate: Fall 2012
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Witkin Award for Academic Excellence, and Jefferson Medal for Highest Grade – Civil Procedure II (4.3); Jurisprudence (4.0): Spring 2012
- Distinguished Honor Roll: Spring 2012
- Honor Roll: Fall 2010; Spring 2011; Fall 2011; Fall 2012; Spring 2013
- Jefferson Fellow - Merit Award: Fall 2012 – Fall 2013
San Diego State University, May 2009
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration (Management)
- Dean’s List - Top 10% of Undergraduates in College of Business: Spring 2009