- Email: Jeffrey.Ranen@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.3921
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Jeff Ranen is a Partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a Vice-Chair of the Labor & Employment Practice, the National Chair of the Wage & Hour Class Action Practice, and Chair of the Fair Credit Reporting Act Practice. His practice is dedicated to defending employers in employment litigation and counseling. The Daily Journal has named Mr. Ranen one of the Top 75 Labor and Employment attorneys in California.
In 2007, Mr. Ranen became the youngest partner in the history of the law firm. He is known for his intellectual aggressiveness, accurate evaluation of cases, early case resolution strategies, and working with employers to make business-savvy decisions with respect to approaching litigation–whether that means taking the case to trial or settling early on.
Mr. Ranen is involved in all aspects of employment-related litigation, including first-chairing trials before juries and arbitrators. In 2016, he first-chaired a pregnancy discrimination trial wherein the Plaintiff dismissed her case with prejudice in the middle of Mr. Ranen’s cross-examination of her which generated front-page media attention. In February 2017, Mr. Ranen again caused a Plaintiff to literally stand up and walk off the witness stand in the middle of his cross-examination of her in an arbitration hearing, following which she dismissed her case.
Mr. Ranen’s robust practice includes defending employers in wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, ADA access, trade secret litigation, and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) class actions. Mr. Ranen and his team also provide preventative counseling to employers regarding all employment practices, including drafting and auditing employee handbooks, preparing employment and severance agreements, drafting and reviewing employment applications for FCRA compliance, presenting sexual harassment prevention seminars, and evaluating termination decisions.
There are very few attorneys in the State of California who have successfully defended more wage and hour, PAGA, FCRA, and consumer class actions than Mr. Ranen. He has defended well over 175 such class lawsuits, including defeating class certification or getting the cases dismissed at the outset. In 2015 alone, Mr. Ranen and his team defeated three class certification motions–an unprecedented string of success. Mr. Ranen is a prolific speaker on wage and hour topics and presents numerous seminars each year on helping employers avoid the pitfalls of class action litigation.
Mr. Ranen also specializes in defending businesses and individuals in sexual molestation and abuse cases arising both within and outside the employment context. Mr. Ranen has successfully defended a number of these complex and challenging cases and, as a result, possesses the experience and discretion to confidently defend clients in these matters. Mr. Ranen is skilled in developing a litigation strategy that recognizes the sensitive and personal nature of these cases and works with his clients in achieving their goals – whether that be a complete vindication on the merits or pursuing an early and discreet resolution of the matter.
In April 2017, the Daily Journal selected Mr. Ranen as a “Top 40 Under 40” attorney, honoring the most accomplished young attorneys in the state of California.
When not practicing law, Mr. Ranen enjoys spending time with his wife and two young children and is an avid Boston sports fan.
Related Legal Alerts
- July 11, 2017 First Federal Court Ruling That Retailer’s Website Violates Title III of the ADA
- November 23, 2016 Federal Judge Grants Emergency Injunction Blocking DOL’s New Salary Basis Test for White Collar Exemptions
- September 20, 2016 Lewis Brisbois Attorneys Defeat $60 Million PAGA Case of First Impression
- August 12, 2016 California Supreme Court Holds that Arbitrator, Not Court, Decides Whether Arbitration Agreements Permit Class-Wide Arbitration
- October 05, 2017 Lewis Brisbois Team Beats Class Cert. Bid in OT Suit
- July 24, 2017 Jeff Ranen, Billy Sung Published by Law360
- July 21, 2017 Jeff Ranen Named Top Employment Lawyer
- April 17, 2017 Jeff Ranen Named ‘Top 40 Under 40’ by Daily Journal
Los Angeles County Bar Association: Labor & Employment Section
Awards & Honors
- Daily Journal – Top Labor & Employment Lawyers, 2017
- Daily Journal, California “Top 40 Under 40,” 2017
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2017
- Selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2006-2013
Boston College Law School
Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Editor: Third World Law Journal
Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa