- Email: Ian.Rainey@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2049
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Ian Rainey is a partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology and Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practices. Ian is recognized as an expert in his field, having been chosen by his peers as a Colorado Super Lawyer, Rising Star (awarded to top 2.5% of practitioners). Ian’s practice includes litigating a wide variety of intellectual property and commercial litigation matters in federal, state and appellate courts across the country. Ian also counsels clients in all aspects of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, trademark, trade secret and copyright law and related licensing.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Ian worked in the intellectual property group at another large national firm. Before that, he clerked for The Honorable John Daniel Dailey on the Colorado Court of Appeals where he assisted in drafting over fifty published and unpublished opinions.
Ian earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, graduating seventh in his class, and was awarded several Scholastic Excellence Awards for receiving the top grade in a given class. During law school Ian also served as the Editor-in-Chief of the University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal.
Ian also has an active pro bono practice, with an emphasis in issues related to public education in Colorado. From 2010 to 2012, Ian had the opportunity to work on Lobato v. State of Colorado, a case that the challenged the constitutionality of Colorado’s public school funding system. Ian worked extensively with the litigation team during pretrial discovery, throughout the five-week trial, and post-trial by drafting portions of the finding of facts and conclusions of law. The Colorado Lawyer's Committee awarded the Lobato litigation team the "Team of the Year Award" for its pro bono work.
While in college, Ian was a NCAA Division I baseball player and a former member of a USA Baseball Junior Olympic Team. Away from work, Ian enjoys running, biking, golfing and exploring Colorado’s outdoors.
The War Over Information Technology Patents: How Microsoft v. i4i is Reforming the Mobile Entertainment Industry, 11 U. DENV. SPORTS. & ENT. L.J 137 (2011).
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States District Court, District of Colorado
United States District Court, Central District of California
10th Circuit Court of Appeals
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Executive Committee, Thomas G. Marsh Inn of Court
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado IP Inn of Court
Awards & Honors
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Intellectual Property Litigation 2018 & 2020
- Editor-in-Chief, University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal
- Academic Achievement, Scholastic Excellence Award
- Bucknell University, Academic All Conference, Dean's List
- NCAA Division I Baseball Team
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2012
Bachelor of Arts, 2006