- Email: Jonathan.Preziosi@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 973.792.8736
- Fax: 973.577.6261
Jonathan Preziosi is a partner in the Newark office of Lewis Brisbois, a vice-chair of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice, and a member of the Real Estate, Land Use & Environment Practice.
Mr. Preziosi litigates a wide variety of construction cases involving such diverse projects as highway, transportation and bridge construction; power generation facilities; refineries; and Hudson River waterfront redevelopment sites. He also litigates a wide range of commercial real estate matters, including complex title disputes; tax appeals involving commercial, industrial and tax-exempt properties; suits to compel closing of commercial real estate deals and actions in lieu of prerogative writs defending or challenging zoning board and planning board land use decisions.
His practice also includes representation of not just construction clients but also businesses in all sectors in contract disputes, unfair business competition claims, and preliminary and final injunction hearings.
Some specific examples of Mr. Preziosi’s work include:
- Serving as lead counsel in obtaining a binding arbitration award of more than $12 million for an industrial contractor that sued for payment after erecting the structural steel and installing mechanical equipment for a power plant project in New Jersey. The award included compensation for extra work and constructive acceleration damages.
- Winning an 8-day injunction hearing and obtaining an order that permitted his client to proceed with the $80 million sale of its business.
- Successfully representing an industrial electrical contractor in recovering $4 million in loss of productivity damages arising from an airport terminal modification project.
- Successfully representing an industrial contractor in recovering $2.375 million in extra work (Field Change Authorization) claims at a New Jersey oil refinery project.
- Successfully defending Educational Testing Service (ETS) in an arbitration where a contractor made 25 extra work claims against ETS with respect to a water system modification project.
- Successfully representing the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority in recovering the costs required to replace a defective roof installed on the Meadowlands Continental Arena.
- Representing general contractors and sub-contractors in multimillion-dollar constructive change and delay claims against bi-state agencies, such as the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- Winning an injunction that prevented a municipality from shutting down a client’s industrial pipe distribution facility when, after six years of operation by the client at the site, the municipality changed interpretations of its zoning ordinance.
- Winning an injunction against enforcement of an ordinance in the Town of West New York that would have required restaurants in the Controlled Waterfront Development District to close by 12:00 midnight.
- Representing the insureds of title insurance companies in establishing priority of commercial real estate mortgages, defending against claims of adverse possession and easement extinguishment and otherwise quieting title for insured lenders and owners.
- Successfully defending a family trust against a developer alleging that the trust had concealed lead contamination in the soil of a historic Princeton property that the trust had sold to the developer.
- Successfully representing and obtaining the complete dismissal of the New Jersey Highway Authority in a multi-fatality case where the design of the Garden State Parkway was alleged to have been the cause of an accident.
- Obtaining summary judgment and dismissal of the plaintiff’s claims against an engineering firm client whose services were alleged to have caused a severe head/facial injury at a New Jersey oil refinery project.
- Successfully representing and obtaining complete the dismissal of the New Jersey Highway Authority in a drowning case where the condition of the Highway Authority’s property at the intersection of the Garden State Parkway and a chemical plant was alleged to have been the cause of an accident.
State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit.
Seton Hall Law School
- Editor, Seton Hall Law Review