- Email: Daniel.Norris@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 404.476.2012
- Fax: 404.467.8845
Daniel Norris is a partner in the Atlanta office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice.
Mr. Norris is a trial lawyer representing plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation, including litigation arising from intellectual property rights, products liability claims, contractual disputes, and a wide variety of other claims.
Mr. Norris has recovered nearly $220 million for his clients in jury trials and arbitrations to date. Mr. Norris has broad experience representing manufacturers in many types of disputes. For example, he recently served as trial counsel for a textile manufacturer in a three-week jury trial in Jacksonville, Florida, in which he recovered more than $90 million including interest and attorneys’ fees in a breach of warranty claim against a component supplier. Mr. Norris previously represented a manufacturer in a five-week arbitration involving theft of industrial manufacturing trade secrets, in which the client obtained a unanimous arbitration award for $40 million in lump sum damages plus a running royalty worth millions more. He has represented plaintiffs and defendants in large and complex litigation, providing him with a unique perspective on litigation strategy and the efficient prosecution of litigation. Mr. Norris has extensive experience in both state and federal practice, as well as alternative dispute resolution.
- “Manufacturing a Trade Secret,” Industry Today, Vol. 17, No. 4, June 2014.
State Bar Admissions
- American Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
Florida State University
Juris Doctor, 2004
Southern Methodist University
Bachelor of Arts, 2000
- Represented a textile manufacturer against a component supplier alleging breach of warranty and breach of contract resulting from the defendant's sale of defective component goods used in our client's manufacturing process. After a three-week jury trial, our client won a verdict worth more than $90 million including substantial damages for the replacement of defective goods, lost profits from the discontinuation of the affected product line, attorneys' fees, and prejudgment interest.
- Counsel for a Japanese multinational automotive manufacturer in consumer economic loss class action proceedings consolidated in multidistrict litigation before the Central District of California.
- Counsel for the plaintiff in a substantial theft of trade secrets case related to an industrial manufacturing process, and served as trial counsel during a five-week hearing before a panel of three arbitrators. Our client obtained a substantial award, including approximately $40 million in lump sum damages and a substantial running royalty for the next eight years.
- Counsel for the defendant in a substantial products liability suit associated with a boating accident, in which the plaintiff's expert testimony was excluded, the plaintiff was sanctioned for spoliation of evidence and the plaintiff's claims were resolved in the defendants' favor at summary judgment.
- Counsel for the plaintiff in a catastrophic personal injury lawsuit associated with a defective product in which the matter was successfully resolved in an extraordinarily favorable confidential settlement for the client.
- Litigated a post-closing commercial real estate dispute that went to arbitration, obtaining an award from the arbitrator denying all of the claimant's requests for relief and awarding our client over $200,000 in attorneys' fees.
- Represented an amicus party in the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals on a critical First Amendment case impacting the freedom of student press organizations across the country.
- Litigated a dispute in the Northern District of Georgia between two insurance companies on an issue of first impression regarding contribution obligations for indemnity and the defense of an underlying insured, obtaining summary judgment in favor of the client that denied all of the plaintiff's claims and granted the full amount of the client's attorneys' fees.