- Email: Monica.Nelson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 401.406.3311
- Fax: 401.406.3312
Monica Nelson is a partner in the Providence office of Lewis Brisbois. Monica has extensive litigation experience, including in challenging catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases. For the past decade, Monica has effectively used her research, writing, and oral advocacy skills to resolve numerous and diverse matters in the state and federal courts of Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. As part of her practice, Monica represents clients in depositions, motion hearings, mediations, arbitrations, and other proceedings.
As a member of the firm’s Asbestos Litigation and Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation Practices, Monica represents clients from diversified industries in complex products liability and toxic tort actions. Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Monica was an attorney at a Boston law firm specializing in asbestos litigation.
Center for Mediation and Collaboration Rhode Island, 2018
- Certified Mediator
Monica previously served as a legal research clerk to Connecticut Superior Court judges. In this position, she assisted in the researching and drafting of judicial decisions on diverse topics in civil litigation arising from premises and products liability claims, employment and civil rights actions, medical and professional malpractice suits, insurance coverage disputes, and complex commercial transactions. During law school, Monica also served as a judicial extern to a federal judge in the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island. Monica has also worked for Yale Law School’s Jerome N. Frank Legal Services Organization, where she provided pro bono immigration legal services.
- Relief Pursuant to the Convention Against Torture: A Framework for Central American Gang Recruits and Former Gang Members to Fulfill the “Consent or Acquiescence” Requirement, 13 ROGERWILLIAMS U. L. REV. 308 (2008).
- 2006 Survey of Rhode Island Law, Property Law: East Bay Community Development Corporation v. Zoning Board of Review of the Town of Barrington, 901 A.2d 1136 (R.I. 2006),12 ROGERWILLIAMS U. L. REV. 625 (2007).
State Bar Admissions
- Rhode Island
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island
United States District Court of Rhode Island
United States District Court of Massachusetts
United States District Court of Connecticut
- Member of the Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member of the Rhode Island Women’s Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Monica has been named a "Rising Star" by New England Super Lawyers in 2013, 2014, and 2017-2022. "Rising Stars" are attorneys who are under 40, or who have been practicing for less than 10 years, and are selected from a rigorous peer review process.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2024, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Roger Williams University School of Law
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2008
- Roger Williams University Law Review
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2005