- Email: Thomas.Mulvihill@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 415.438.6676
- Fax: 415.434.0882
Thomas E. Mulvihill is a partner in the San Francisco office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Insurance Coverage Practice. Mr. Mulvihill's thirty two year career has been devoted to the practice of insurance law, including coverage and bad faith litigation, first and third party coverage analysis, monitoring counsel, the drafting of policy forms and endorsements, and claims auditing. He has represented international and domestic insurers in more than eight hundred matters at the federal and state trial court level and has represented insurers before the California Supreme Court, the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the California Court of Appeal.
- ABA Journal Coverage: Montrose: An Analysis
- Verdict: Isn’t It Time To Buy The Emperor Some New Clothes: A Critique Of Johansson And Policy Limit Demands
- Verdict: Insuring The Faith: Coverage For Acts Of Molestation
- Comment: Can They Really Do That? Stipulated Judgments and the No Action Clause.
- Insurance Bad Faith: Litigation and Trial Practice, National Business Institute, San Jose, CA
- Collapse of US Housing Market and Impact on Liability Insurance, Lloyds, London
- Equitable Contribution Litigation Practice, Claims Managers Association, Costa Mesa, CA
- Litigation Training For Civil Defense Lawyers, Association of Defense Counsel, San Francisco, CA
- Pollution Insurance Coverage, Mealey’s, Amelia Island, FL
- Statutory Bad Faith, Lloyds, London
- Bad Faith Trial and Practice, Association of Defense Counsel, San Francisco, CA
- Copyright Insurance Coverage, Practicing Law Institute, San Francisco, CA
- Expansion of the Pollution Exclusion, Association of Defense Counsel, Monterey, CA
- Interpretation of the No Action Clause, Association of Defense Counsel, Monterey, CA
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- American College of Coverage Counsel, Fellow
- NASD Board of Arbitrators, Former member
Awards & Honors
- Rated “AV” and Identified as a Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Named a Northern California Super Lawyer in Insurance Law.
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer in American Lawyer Media.
- Rated a "10" by AVVO.
University of San Francisco
University of California, Berkeley
- Interstate Fire & Cas. Co. v. Axis Surplus Ins. Co. (2018) 2018 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 7393
- Certain London Underwriters v. Fairmont Specialty (2013) 2013 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 3169
- Hamilton v. Maryland (2002) 27 Cal 4th 718; Bullock v. Maryland (2001) 85 Cal App 4th 1435
- Westshield v. Superior Court (2001) 82 Cal App 4th 935
- Franklin Miller v. Commerce and Industry (2000) 242 F3d 381, 2000 U.S. App. Unpub. LEXIS 36879
- Northfield (1998) 187 F3d 646, 1999 U.S. App. Unpub. LEXIS 27515
- Northern Ins. Co. v. Allied Mut. Ins. Co., 107 F.3d 877, 1997 U.S. App. Unpub. LEXIS 8036
- Acme v. Fireman’s Fund (1989) 221 Cal App 3d 170; Heckert v. McDonald (1988) 208 Cal App 3d 832