- Email: Rick.Mueller@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 314.685.8368
- Fax: 314.685.8347
Rick Mueller is a partner in the St. Louis office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Products Liability and Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation Practices. Rick has earned defense verdicts for products manufacturers in courts across the country. He has taken more than 100 jury trials to verdict in venues ranging from Guam to New York City and from Seattle to Miami. His considerable experience and determination are recognized by clients and opposing attorneys alike.
Rick regularly serves as national counsel for major Japanese manufacturers. Drawing on his 40 years of litigation experience, Rick focuses on product liability matters (including, inter alia, personal injury claims involving off-road vehicles, personal watercraft, motorcycles and automotive products). Recently, in May 2022, he defeated a group of Plaintiffs in a wrongful death case in downtown Los Angeles, where the plaintiffs asked the jury for $47 million.
Rick also represents clients in dealings with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In the CPSC context, he has guided clients through product recall issues involving products such as off-road vehicles, sporting equipment, and lithium batteries and obtained successful results in investigations.
He also has represented clients facing fraud claims, patent claims, class action matters and commercial contract disputes.
Rick has cross examined experts in a variety of fields, including engineering, epidemiology, human factors, warnings, naval architecture, validation, computer simulations, management policies, a variety of fields of medicine, aerodynamics, and patent law, to name a few.
Rick is experienced in front of a jury, but he also achieves significant defense victories before the case goes to a jury. Recently, he has obtained summary judgments on design defect and warnings issues in federal district courts in Utah (Wells v Kawasaki Motors Corporation, U.S.A.) and South Carolina (Hickerson v Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.), and obtained directed verdicts in federal district courts in New Jersey (Ruggerio v Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.) and Florida (Mizrahi v Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.).
Rick's experience extends to appellate briefing and argument. Rick has successfully argued appeals before federal courts of appeal in the Second, Third, Fourth, Seventh, Eighth, and Eleventh Circuit, as well as state appellate courts in Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Illinois, New Jersey, Texas, Alabama and Arizona.
Rick is an American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) certified trial attorney.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Pro Hac Vice Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Bar Association
- American Journal on Science and Health
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Defense Research Institute Chairman
- Recreational Boat Subcommittee
- Admiralty Law Group
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- New York Academy of Sciences
- The Maritime Law Association
- Practicing Law Institute
- The Missouri Bar
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- Admiralty Law Institute Speaker
- Products Liability Advisory Council
Awards & Honors
- "Lawyer of the Year" for Product Liability Litigation - Defendants in St. Louis, The Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2022
- "The Best Lawyers in America®", Best Lawyers, 2009-2022
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005 & 2007-2018
Washington University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1976
- Order of the Coif
- Law Quarterly
Washington University in St. Louis
Bachelor of Arts, 1973