- Email: Miguel.Morel@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 954.678.4069
- Fax: 954.728.1282
Miguel Morel is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Labor & Employment Practice. With creative solutions and exceptional service, Miguel guides management clients through challenging workplace and commercial disputes.
Miguel’s employment litigation experience extends to single and collective wage and hour actions, as well as discrimination, retaliation, harassment, whistleblowing and noncompete and breach of contract claims. He advises clients across a range of industries, including agriculture, hospitality, shipping, real estate and sports. Miguel also has extensive commercial litigation experience representing domestic and international clients in state and federal courts throughout the state of Florida and across the country.
Among his accomplishments on behalf of clients are the following:
- Successfully defeated motions seeking nationwide class certification under the FLSA for clients in the agricultural, financial, and transportation industries
- Obtained dismissal of a nationwide collective action asserted by employees of a national airline alleging they were misclassified under a key FLSA exemption
- Secured summary judgment in various discrimination and retaliation actions brought against companies in the hospitality, agricultural, and transportation industries
- Counseled employers through wage and hour audits conducted by the U.S. Department of Labor
- Negotiated and drafted numerous agreements involving sponsorships, employment, distribution, and nondisclosure and confidentiality, among others
- Represented global risk management and insurance company in seeking emergency injunctive relief against former manager who breached an employment agreement, misappropriated company trade secrets and improperly launched a competing business; plaintiff agreed to return all of the propriety information that he had removed, pay some legal fees and abide by the terms of employment agreement
- Helped secure a $7 million judgment on behalf of an auto racing company against a major cell phone provider over a breach of a sponsorship contract
Prior to law school, Miguel was a trademark administrator in the legal department of a global consumer goods company, with responsibility for trademark clearance, preparation and prosecution for thousands of protected brands.
As a native Spanish speaker, Miguel enhances his client service with the ability to analyze and interpret legal documents, contracts and other communication from companies and courts across Latin America.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
University of Miami School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2010
Bachelor of Science, 2004