- Email: Julie.Maurer@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 602.385.7832
- Fax: 602.385.1051
Julie Maurer is a partner in the Phoenix office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Transportation, Complex Business & Commercial Litigation, and Marine & Energy Practices. Julie routinely serves as national litigation counsel, representing clients in jurisdictions throughout the United States in the areas of transportation, commercial litigation, contract and tort defense. She has extensive experience as lead chair in bench and jury trials in state and federal courts as well as AAA arbitrations throughout the country. She has represented clients in trials identified as Arizona’s most significant defense verdicts. She is listed in Arizona’s Finest Lawyers and recognized repeatedly in Southwest Super Lawyers. Julie also serves as a Judge Pro Tem for the Arizona Superior Court of Maricopa County in commercial litigation matters.
Julie's transportation expertise extends to all areas of carriage, including representing shippers, motor, rail, air and ocean carriers, brokers and intermediaries. She handles freight loss and damage claims, and litigates issues related to the collection of tariff and transportation charges. Julie also negotiates and advises clients on transportation contracts and insurance issues.
COMMERCIAL LITIGATION / BUSINESS RELATED DISPUTES:
Julie represents clients in a wide-variety of business disputes, including breach of contract, non-competition, real estate, insurance coverage and bad faith litigation matters. She also represents clients in the defense of toxic tort and wrongful death matters. She was a trial attorney of a toxic tort case named as one of 2007's most significant defense verdicts in Arizona.
- Anson Calder, LLC v. Bay Shore Moving & Storage, Inc., 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 127845 (D. Utah July 30, 2019).
- Nachman v. Seaford Transfer, Inc., 2018 WL 4186397, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 149315 (E.D. Va. Aug. 31, 2018).
- Reclaimed Goods, LLC v. Frisard’s Trucking Company, Inc., 2018 WL 2771426, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 97059 (W.D. La. June 7, 2018).
- Re-Borne, Inc. v. Panther II Transportation, Inc., 3:17-cv-00023- GFVT, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 51243 (E.D. Kent. 2018).
- Delta Stone Products v. Xpertfreight, et. al., 2018 WL 354681, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5337 (D. Utah 2018).
- Chisesi Bros. Meat Packing Co. v. Transco Logistics Co., 2017 U.S. Dist. Lexis 75580, 2017 WL 2189829 (E.D. La. 2017).
- Sony Biotechnology, Inc. v. Chipman Logistics and Relocation, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 134440, 2017 WL 3605500 (S.D. Cal. 2017).
- Hartley v. Don Farr Moving & Storage, 2017 U.S. Dist. Lexis 206360 (W.D. La. 2017).
- Grier v. Griffin Moving & Storage, Inc., 0:17-cv-61485-DMM (S.D. Fla. 2017).
- United Van Lines, LLC v. Deming, 2017 WL 3149301, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 116308 (N.D. Cal. July 25, 2017).
- Pinnacle Pines Cmty Ass'n v. Everest Nat'l Ins. Co., Chartis Specialty Co., et al., No. CV-12-08202-PCT-DGC, 2014 WL 1875166 (D. Ariz. May 9, 2014).
- Pacific Indemnity Co. v. Atlas Van Lines, Inc. 642 F. 3d 702 (9th Cir. 2011).
- Pacific Indemnity Co. v. Pickens Kane Moving & Storage Co., et al., 655 F. Supp. 2d 1023 (D. Ariz. 2009).
- In re Accuride Erie, 125 LA 1061 (Franckiewicz 2008).
- "Carmack Preemption of Damage to Real Property—Watch Your Step!," The Transportation Lawyer, April 2019, Vol. 20, No. 5.
- "The Preemptive Power of the FAAAA—A Future in Decline?," The Transportation Lawyer, April 2018, Vol. 19, No. 5.
- "Implied Waiver of Attorney-Client Privilege in Arizona Bad Faith Cases: Is it a 'Magical Admission' Standard?," Law Blog (2015).
- "Post-ICCTA Federal Jurisdiction Over Recovery of Freight Charges," Transportation Law Institute (2007).
- "Collection of Freight Charges: A Case for Federal Jurisdiction," The Transportation Lawyer (2006).
- Judge Pro Tempore for the Arizona Superior Court of Maricopa County.
- Mountain States Legal Foundation, Board of Litigation, Arizona Delegate.
- Arizona Women's Education and Employment, Board of Directors.
- Phoenix ToolBank, Vice-President, Board of Directors.
- Suns Charities 88.
- Big Brother Big Sisters of Central Arizona.
State Bar Admissions
State Supreme Courts
- Arizona Supreme Court
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Arizona Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
Awards & Honors
- Recognized as America’s Top 100 Attorneys, Lifetime Achievement
- Award of Professional Distinction, Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla)
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers
- 40 Under 40, Phoenix Business Journal
- Rising Star, Southwest Super Lawyer, Civil Litigation Defense and Employment Litigation Defense
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Trial Academy, Stanford Law School
- Ladder Down, Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
University of Notre Dame Law School
Juris Doctor, 2004
- Solicitation Editor and Symposium Chair for the Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics and Public Policy
- "White Scholar"
Arizona State University
Master of Public Administration, summa cum laude, 1998
- Graduate Research Assistant, School of Public Affairs
University of Missouri-Rolla
Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, 1996
- 2010 Athletic Hall of Fame - 1995 -1996 Women's Basketball Team
- Award of Professional Distinction, Missouri University of Science and Technology