- Email: Michael.Markins@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 304.553.0153
- Fax: 304.343.1805
Michael Markins is a partner in the Charleston office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability, Construction, and Marine & Energy Practices. Michael has significant experience in defending all variety of claims in West Virginia, from the routine to the extraordinarily complex.
Michael has defended contractors and design professionals in a variety of scenarios, including claims of catastrophic failures of gas well pads, water impoundment ponds and airport runway extensions. As a native West Virginian, Michael has an understanding of the challenges associated with constructing structures in the Mountain State and has used that knowledge to guide his clients through the complexities of litigating construction claims.
Michael's experience also includes the defense of personal injury claims. His first trial involved the defense of a claim asserting traumatic brain injury. He has routinely handled claims with multiple fatalities, severe traumatic burns and injuries arising from automobile accidents, trucking accidents, and industrial accidents.
Michael is a 2001 Order of the Coif graduate of the West Virginia University College of Law where he was a member of Law Review and a Patrick Duffy Koontz Award winner.
State Bar Admissions
- West Virginia
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- The CLM
West Virginia University College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2001
Political Science, 1998
- Represented general contractor in failure of the largest engineered slope in North America.
- Represented general contractor in destruction of a gas well pad from excavation work.
- Represented general contractor in lawsuit over impoundment pond for fracking wastewater.
- Represented general contractor from allegations of property damage to multiple homes from construction activities in constructing a pipeline.
- Represented numerous defendants in accidents arising from natural resource extraction such as timber, coal, oil and gas.
- Represented opioid manufacture in numerous lawsuits in West Virginia.