- Email: Innes.Mackillop@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.460.4636
- Fax: 713.759.6830
Innes Mackillop is a partner in the Houston office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the firm's Admiralty, Maritime & Energy Litigation Practice and London Market Group.
1. Collisions/Allisions/Major Casualties
- General cargo freighter collision with derrick/lay barge under tow at night, Gulf of Mexico; hull and property damage, loss of revenue, and personal injury claims.
- Destruction of large offshore production platform due to fire, Gulf of Mexico; leakage of hydrocarbons during riser repairs; property damage, loss of production/revenue, wrongful death and personal injury claims.
- Four-leg platform jacket toppled over during installation, Gulf of Mexico; property damage and loss of production/revenue claims, and related insurance coverage issues.
- Damage to subsea telecommunications cable during offshore survey operations, Puerto Rico; property damage and loss of revenue claims.
- Failure of drillship riser assembly during offshore drilling operations, Gulf of Mexico; property damage, fishing/re-drill cost, and loss of revenue claims.
- General cargo freighter collision with tanker loading gasoline, Port of Houston; hull damage and loss of revenue claims.
- Refinery explosion and resultant property damage, loss of production, wrongful death and personal injury claims, and related products liability, indemnity and insurance issues.
- Allision between seismic survey vessel and offshore producing caisson, Gulf of Mexico; property damage and loss of production/loss of revenue claims.
- General cargo freighter collision with well intervention/offshore construction semi submersible vessel, Port of Galveston; hull damage and loss of revenue claims.
- Loss of offshore production module during installation, Gulf of Mexico; property damage, loss of production/revenue claims and personal injury claims.
- Damage to liftboat and pipeline during tie-in operations, Boston Harbor; one leg of liftboat broke due to alleged improper loading; unpaid charter hire, property damage, and loss of revenue claims.
- Failure of drilling tool during offshore operations, Gulf of Mexico; property damage, re-drill expenses, and loss of production/revenue claims.
- Damage to drilltender tethered to production platform, West Africa; allegedly due to dragging anchor deployed from laybarge; property damage and loss of revenue claims.
- Tripod production platform collapsed post-installation, Gulf of Mexico; property damage and loss of production/revenue claims.
- Damage to 18-inch gas pipeline in 2,000 ft. water depth during anchor retrieval operations by drilling rig, Gulf of Mexico; property damage and loss of revenue claims.
- Jack-up drilling rig "punchthrough" during preloading operations, offshore Qatar; property damage claims.
2. Commercial Disputes (Litigation and Arbitrations)
- Various nonpayment/performance disputes regarding offshore production structure, pipeline and subsea assembly installation contracts, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, West Africa, Persian Gulf and Far East; alleged defective/late performance claims with liquidated damages, and non/late payment, extra work, and standby claims.
- Performance dispute regarding offshore support vessel repair contract; bow thruster fell off after repairs, offshore Mexico; repair and loss of revenue claims,
- Nonpayment/performance dispute regarding derrick/pipelay barge modification contract.
- Vessel charter nonpayment claims, breach of contract and defective performance claims, large offshore support vessel, Mexico; associated mutiny, kidnap, false imprisonment, and personal injury claims, and vessel seizure/wrongful seizure claims.
- Removal, remediation and project delay claims against paint vendor to project for construction of offshore storage/production unit.
- Contract and tort claims arising from failed real estate transaction for sale of marine fabrication facility.
- Performance/product dispute with coatings contractor/vendor on tank barge construction contract.
- Nonpayment/performance dispute regarding design/fabrication of process vessels for offshore gas production platform, Persian Gulf.
- Nonpayment/performance dispute regarding design/fabrication of subsea production equipment, West Africa.
- Defective inspection claims regarding pressure vessels for offshore production structure; claims for inspection, transportation, repair and reinstallation costs.
- Nonpayment/contamination dispute regarding marine fuels, including engine damage claims, claims for fuel substitution costs, loss of revenue claims, and claims for reimbursement of salvage awards.
- Performance/nonpayment dispute regarding contract for transportation and installation of drill rig to be installed on offshore production platform, Trinidad.
3. Personal Injury/Wrongful Death Claims - Offshore
- Death of barge superintendent caused by crawler crane on deck of derrick/pipelay barge, Far East.
- Injury to mooring master due to collapse of crane during transfer from ULCC to support vessel, Gulf of Mexico.
- Jones Act physical and mental injury claims resulting from kidnap of U.S. crewmembers from laybarge offshore Nigeria.
- Injury to supply vessel captain pinned by shifting cargo, Gulf of Mexico .
- Diver injury during exit from dive chamber aboard DSV, offshore Qatar.
- Injury to barge superintendent during A&R cable recovery on pipelay vessel, offshore Sarawak.
- Gastrointestinal conditions allegedly caused by food served on construction vessel, offshore Mexico.
- Venereal disease contracted at foreign port during personnel transfer, Far East.
- Hepatitis C contracted during treatment of riot victims evacuated to pipelay vessel, offshore West Africa.
- Barge/pipeline welder suffered head injuries from improperly deployed automatic welding equipment, North Sea.
- Wrongful death and personal injury claims resulting from sinking of offshore construction vessel during hurricane, Gulf of Mexico.
4. Personal Injury/Wrongful Death Claims - Onshore
- Burn injuries during maintenance work at sour gas/sulphur extraction plant, East Texas.
- Death of a railroad engineer during switching operations in railroad yard of marine storage terminal, Bayport, Texas.
- Personal injuries to construction personnel at petro-chemical plant, Sakhalin.
- Death of truck driver during vessel unloading operations, Port of Houston.
- Service contractor injury during unloading of equipment from flatbed truck, Houston.
- Injuries from motor vehicle accident caused by fellow Jones Act employee, Houston.
- Burn injuries during maintenance work at asphalt plant, Louisiana.
- Injuries from fork lift accident on warehouse loading dock, Angleton, Texas.
- Head and back injuries to mechanic during chassis repair/maintenance, Port of Galveston.
- Burn injuries during construction/start-up of co-generation plant, East Texas.
- Deaths of truck driver and sedan driver resulting from multiple vehicular collision, Houston.
- Damage to drilling equipment during ocean transit.
- Contamination of bulk chemical cargo in shore facilities due to operator error/unsuitability of shore tanks.
- Spoliation of containers of foodstuffs during international transportation due to improper handling and equipment malfunction.
- Contamination of bulk chemical cargo in railcars due to paperwork/ operator error.
- Contamination of bulk chemical cargo in tanker due to inadequate tank cleaning.
- Damage to oil field equipment during vessel loading.
- Rust damage to coiled steel during ocean transport.
- Coverage dispute regarding claim/settlement for punitive damages arising from fatality at refinery in East Texas.
- Declaratory Judgment action seeking insurance coverage as an additional insured under co defendant's liability policy; underlying suit, wrongful death of truck driver during unloading of oil field pipe.
- Coverage dispute under CGL policy for defective design/construction and mold claims relating to new building.
- Coverage dispute under CGL policy for misrepresentation and defective design/ manufacture claims relating to sale of mooring wires.
- Coverage dispute under P&I, umbrella and auto liability policies in respect of motor vehicle accident while seamen proceeding to dock for crew change.
- First party and liability coverage disputes regarding air, sea and land transportation of various cargos, from aircraft engines to computers, under inland marine and open cargo policies, and air carrier, NVOCC, motor truck and warehouse legal liability policies; domestic and international shipments.
- Builder's risk claims in respect of offshore construction projects.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
United States Supreme Court
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Garland R. Walker Inn of Court (Member, Executive Committee 1998-2012)
- 2013 BTI Client Service All-Stars
South Texas College of Law
Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1983
The College of Law, London, England
PNL, London, England
Bachelor of Arts, English Law, with honors, 1979
The Law Society's Part II Examination