- Email: Tripp.Lake@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2031
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Tripp Lake is a partner in the Denver and San Francisco offices of Lewis Brisbois. Tripp is a trial lawyer, and for more than a decade has focused his practice in the areas of intellectual property and commercial litigation. He has tried more than 70 jury trials to verdict, including around 65 as lead counsel. Some recent cases as lead counsel include:
- Obtained a preliminary injunction in a trademark case, shutting down an infringing competitor and obtaining a favorable judgment.
- Defeated a preliminary injunction in a trade secret and Lanham Act case with over $10 Million in damages at stake.
- Obtained a jury verdict in a contract case for an independent contractor who managed an international mining company’s global IT system.
- Defended a client in a three-week jury trial concerning infringement claims for eleven patents, with counterclaims sounding in breach of contract and equity which resulted in finding of unclean hands against the plaintiff and the client was able to continue operating with an ongoing royalty.
In addition, Tripp has served as lead counsel for clients in patent and trade secret cases involving medical devices, LED applications, electrical systems, fluidics and biomechanics of small particles, and mechanical devices. He has also represented clients in trademark and copyright cases, and tried complex commercial litigation involving interpretation and application of complex commercial agreements.
Tripp also handles intellectual property licensing, and applies hard-won experience from litigation to his review and advocacy related to licensing matters. Clients in this area range from traditional medical devices and healthcare delivery-system designers to green builders to bleeding-edge AI solution providers. In particular, he has become a go-to voice in managing intellectual property within Industry 4.0. He brings his experience to helping companies navigate the digital thread from initial idea protection via trademark, trade secret, copyright, and patent strategies through litigation if necessary.
In the intellectual property community, Tripp is a recognized leader in developing policy around the next generation of AI. He was asked to take a founding role and lead the legal and policy considerations within the newly formed Digital Globalization Consortium, a new international consortium of business and government entities who are building an architecture and policy framework for a new AI. As technology moves toward intuitive intelligence, he collaborates with international thought leaders to prescribe how that intelligence will interact with and change individuals’ and corporations’ involvement in society. Tripp is helping create policy around the next generation of AI as it is applied interoperatively across a breadth of applications, and he brings that insight to negotiations on behalf of his clients.
- FTC Is No Longer DOJ's Little Brother in the World of Monetary Antitrust Enforcement; Seeks Billions in Disgorgement of Profits for Anticompetitive Reverse Payment Infringement Settlement, Lewis Brisbois Antitrust & Competition Law Client Alert, February 28, 2015
- Supreme Court Clarifies the Requirements for State Action Immunity from Antitrust Laws, Lewis Brisbois Antitrust & Competition Law Client Alert, March 2, 2015
- Presenter, “The Internet is Dying: Are you Ready for Digital Citizenship?” Denver World Trade Day, World Trade Center Denver, May 20, 2021
- Presenter, “Trade Secret Practice in International Business Transactions,” International Commercial & Legal Cooperation Forum, Changsha, China, November 29, 2020 – Virtual Presentation
- Speaker, “Management of IP Rights Within the Digital Thread,” invited speaker to private industry events, Denver, Colorado and Dallas, Texas, January 2020
- Presenter, “Innovative IP in Advanced Manufacturing: management of IP Rights in the Digital Thread,” World Trade Day Denver, May 14, 2019
- Presenter, “What Entrepreneurs need to Know: Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights,” The Commons on Champa, Downtown Denver Partnership, April 24, 2019
- Presenter, “Innovative IP in Advance Manufacturing: Management of IP Rights in the Digital Thread,” International Commercial & Legal Cooperation Forum, Changsha, China, December 7, 2018
- Invited Lecturer, Legislative, Appellate and Regulatory Update along with discussion of Hot Topics in Obstetrical Litigation, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Colorado Permanente Medical Group, May 21, 2018
State Bar Admissions
State Supreme Courts
- Colorado Supreme Court
State Appellate Courts
- Colorado Court of Appeals
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Colorado State and Federal Courts
- Digital Globalization Consortium, Founder
- National Trial Advocacy Program (NITA), Instructor
- Colorado IP Inn of Court, past Board Member
- German American Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, volunteer advocate for Veteran’s Appeals
- Colorado Center for Legal Inclusiveness
- American Bar Association
- Colorado State Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” Litigation, 2009, 2010
- Trial Award, Office of the Deputy District Attorney, Eighteenth Judicial District, 2003
- Order of the Coif (Top 5%), University of Denver College of Law
- Senior Editor, University of Denver Journal of International Law and Policy
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law
Juris Doctor, Order of St. Ives
University of Oklahoma
Bachelor of Arts
East China University of Political Science and Law, Shanghai, China
Chinese and International Intellectual Property and Corporate Comparative Law.