- Email: Julie.Keersmaekers@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2047
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Julie Keersmaekers is a partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Data Privacy & Cybersecurity, Complex Business & Commercial Litigation, and Government Investigations & White Collar Defense Practices.
As a member of the Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice, Julie represents clients in all facets of information security preparedness and incident response. In particular, Julie helps clients respond to complex data security incidents by supervising investigations, navigating response obligations, and guiding clients through regulatory inquiries. Julie also advises clients on preparation of risk assessments and data security policies and procedures, and counsels clients on data privacy compliance under various regulatory regimes.
Julie also has extensive experience representing clients in a broad range of government and internal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, complex commercial litigation, and arbitration. Julie has represented corporations, boards of directors, and individuals in sensitive internal investigations as well as civil and criminal investigations by the Securities Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and the Department of Justice involving allegations of commodities fraud, money laundering, wire and mail fraud, public corruption, health care fraud, U.S. trade sanctions violations, securities fraud, and foreign bribery. These include alleged violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Commodities Exchange Act of 1936, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and the U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations. In addition, Julie has significant experience representing corporations in complex commercial disputes, including matters involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secrets, and civil RICO claims, as well as employment litigation and tax controversy matters. Her background in litigation and regulatory investigations provides Julie with unique insights into liabilities that can emanate from data security incidents.
Julie earned her J.D. from The University of Michigan Law School in 2011 and received her B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Michigan in 2006.
Before joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, Julie was a Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense Associate in the New York office of Cohen & Gresser LLP. She also worked previously as an Associate in the New York office of Mayer Brown LLP.
Julie was recognized as one of New York’s “Rising Stars” in Business Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Representative Cases and Legal Experience
- Guided over 50 clients in all business sectors through data security and cyber incidents including network intrusions, encryption and ransomware attacks, business email compromises, and internal threats.
- Antitrust counsel for Radwell International in an antitrust lawsuit relating to certain programmable logic controllers (PLCs) filed before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) alleging violations of Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 (Inv. No. 337-TA-1105).
- Represented individuals in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations into the setting of LIBOR rates and other derivatives benchmarks.
- Represented a global engineering and construction company in an investigation relating to potential FCPA violations in Europe and South America.
- Represented an energy company in connection with an investigation involving allegations of fraud in connection with a merger.
- Defended an engineering company against trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Defended a firm in an arbitration proceeding regarding claim for breach of a software license.
- Represented individuals in a DOJ public corruption and bribery investigation.
- Represented individual clients in government, regulatory, and company interviews in numerous matters. Researched and analyzed complex legal issues, drafted memoranda, and investigative reports. Negotiated with government counsel and coordinated with joint defense counsel.
- Prepared expert and fact witnesses for trials, hearings, and depositions. Executed opening statements, arguments, and examinations in arbitration hearings.
- Coordinated discovery and represented client interests in discovery disputes in various matters.
State Bar Admissions
- New York
Awards & Honors
“Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, New York Super Lawyers; 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
University of Michigan Law School
Juris Doctor, 2011
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, magna cum laude, 2006