- Email: Beth.Hummer@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.358.6161
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Rosslyn “Beth” Hummer is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Public Agency & Public Finance and Real Estate, Land Use & Environment Practices. Ms. Hummer focuses on resolving matters efficiently with a solid record of dispositive law and motion practice, including pleadings relating to enforcement of arbitration clauses and agreements. Ms. Hummer has tried cases to juries and the bench in both the Superior Court and District Court. Ms. Hummer has also handled appeals and petition for writs of mandate to the Court of Appeal, as well as appeals to the Ninth Circuit.
Ms. Hummer has represented a range of businesses and individuals in controversies relating to real estate, including commercial mechanics lien litigation, breach of contract actions, rescission claims, environmental pollution disputes (including contribution litigation), commercial and residential unlawful detainers (evictions), partnership dissolution, breach of warranty, Consumer Legal Remedies Act, and Unfair Competition Act claims, wage and hour disputes, and patent infringement claims and disputes. Ms. Hummer has represented defendants in mass-plaintiff litigation, class actions, and arbitration. Since 2014 she has focused primarily on real estate related matters, including an elder abuse claim relating to shared ownership of an apartment building located in Culver City, California, fraudulent transfer claims against insiders involving real estate located all over greater Los Angeles, and boundary disputes.
Ms. Hummer has successfully resolved most disputes short of trial, using private negotiation, formal and informal mediation, mandatory settlement conferences, and law and motion practice.
Ms. Hummer has also represented clients in the International Trade Commission and in arbitration proceedings relating to importation of infringing products. In July 2017, Ms. Hummer obtained judgment in a breach of promissory note action following a two-day bench trial. In October 2017, Ms. Hummer successfully negotiated the sale of a $3.9 million commercial property in Beverly Hills.
Certified Emergency Response Team, City of Santa Monica, Fall 2018
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Assist low-income parishioners at All Saints - Beverly Hills with landlord tenant issues
- Interviewer, Santa Monica High School, Freshman Seminar Program, Fall 2017
- recode:LA, Los Angeles’ New Zoning Laws, February 2018 Presentation to Provisors’ West LA Real Estate Affinity Group.
- Moderator, recode:LA, MCLE program presented by Land Use Planning and Environmental Law Sub-Section of the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Moderator, A Case of Arrested Development - UCLA Housing and Land Use Experts on the Road to and from Los Angeles’ Measure S, Lewis Center for Regional Policy Studies and Ziman Center for Real Estate, UCLA. For further details, please click here.
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States District Court, Eastern District of California
United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- Chair, Land Use Planning and Environmental Law Sub-Section of Los Angeles County Bar Association Real Property Section
- Member, Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce, Government Affairs Committee
- Member, The Esquire Network
- Member, German American Business Association (GABA)
- Member, Bruin Professionals
University of Oregon, School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1997
Bachelor of Science in Biology, 1987