- Email: Beth.Hummer@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.358.6161
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Beth Hummer is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Public Agency & Public Finance and Real Estate, Land Use & Environment Practices. She focuses her practice on litigation concerning environmental contamination and real estate. A former chemist and environmental regulator, Ms. Hummer brings a diverse legal background and an understanding of complex science to her representations of public agencies and landowners.
Ms. Hummer has handled major environmental contamination and pollution cases throughout California, especially matters related to groundwater contamination and alleged violations of CERCLA. She has worked on some of the highest-profile environmental cases in the state of California, including handling discovery disputes regarding the science on behalf of PG&E in connection with Chromium VI contamination in Hinkley, California. She has represented clients in state and federal courts in California, as well as before the Second District Court of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit, and in bench and jury trials.
Prior to attending law school, Ms. Hummer worked as an environmental regulator with California Integrated Waste Management Board (now Cal-Recycle under the Cal-EPA umbrella) regulating solid waste landfills. She also was an R&D chemist developing capillary gas chromatography phases for J&W Scientific (now a division of Agilent). Ms. Hummer’s well-rounded scientific training also includes her undergraduate degree in biology.
In addition to her environmental contamination and real estate litigation experience, Ms. Hummer has handled commercial litigation, consumer class actions, wage and hour matters, and arbitrations. She has applied her scientific background to patent infringement disputes before the International Trade Commission, and her understanding of environmental issues to real estate transactions.
Certified Emergency Response Team, City of Santa Monica, Fall 2018
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
- Assist low-income parishioners at All Saints - Beverly Hills with landlord tenant issues
- Interviewer, Santa Monica High School, Freshman Seminar Program, Fall 2017
- recode:LA, Los Angeles’ New Zoning Laws, February 2018 Presentation to Provisors’ West LA Real Estate Affinity Group.
- Moderator, recode:LA, MCLE program presented by Land Use Planning and Environmental Law Sub-Section of the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Moderator, A Case of Arrested Development - UCLA Housing and Land Use Experts on the Road to and from Los Angeles’ Measure S, Lewis Center for Regional Policy Studies and Ziman Center for Real Estate, UCLA. For further details, please click here.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States Bankruptcy Courts
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States District Court, Eastern District of California
United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- Chair, Land Use Planning and Environmental Law Sub-Section of Los Angeles County Bar Association Real Property Section
- Member, Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce, Government Affairs Committee
- Member, The Esquire Network
- Member, German American Business Association (GABA)
- Member, Bruin Professionals
University of Oregon, School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1997
Bachelor of Science in Biology, 1987