- Email: Sara.Holland@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 973.856.8018
- Fax: 973.577.6261
Sara Holland is a partner in the Newark and New York offices of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Corporate and Tax Practices. Ms. Holland began her career as a litigator, serving as in-house counsel for a national insurance carrier and sat first chair on a dozen jury trials. Her pro bono work with Trial Lawyers Care and the New York Coalition for Healthy School Food prompted Ms. Holland to focus on exempt organizations and tax law. She earned her LLM in taxation in 2015 and brought her perspective as a litigator to her corporate and tax practices.
After practicing at a prominent New Jersey law firm, Ms. Holland joined Lewis Brisbois in 2019. She focuses on mid-market mergers and acquisitions, business succession planning, tax deferred exchanges, tax-free reorganizations, and maximizing the tax benefits of tax credits and estate planning. Ms. Holland works with business owners to create partnerships, limited liability companies, and corporate entities, including entity formation and the tax considerations of such ventures. She also advises clients on the tax implications of buying or selling partnership interests, membership interests, and shareholder interests, as well as the tax filings at both the entity level and partner/member level. Ms. Holland frequently counsels her clients on the drafting and revising of partnership agreements, operating agreements, and shareholder agreements. Ms. Holland counsels her clients on 1031 exchanges, Qualified Opportunity Zones, SALT, energy credits, exempt organization law, and asset protection following major liquidity events. Her corporate clients are located nationwide and internationally, which allows Ms. Holland to work closely with her business practice group colleagues located in Lewis Brisbois offices across the country. Ms. Holland continues to represent exempt organizations and guides her nonprofit clients on matters relating to programming, corporate governance, state and federal exempt organization law.
Pro Bono & Philanthropy
Volunteer attorney with Trial Lawyers Care, Inc. and represented two families who brought claims with the September 11th Victims’ Compensation Fund.
- Presenter, “Maximizing the Tax Benefits for Your Business,” 1031 Tax-Deferred Exchanges and Renewable Energy Credits Breakfast Briefing and Webinar, August 22, 2019.
- Co-Presenter at Estate Planning and Wealth Management Seminar hosted by Peapack Gladstone Bank, December 2016.
State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
State Supreme Courts
- New Jersey Supreme Court
- State of New York Court of Appeals
New Jersey Supreme Court
State of New York Court of Appeals
FemCity, South Orange, New Jersey Chapter
Temple University School of Law
LLM in Taxation, 2015
Villanova University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1997
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Legal Studies, cum laude
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Outside general counsel to NJ SHARES, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization that connects low and moderate-income households with energy (gas, electric), water, communications, and environmental resources.
- Seller-side counsel on multi-million dollar stock and asset purchases across various industries, including restaurants and hotels, and manufacturing entities.
- Provided tax counsel on a wide range of tax matters, including the proper structure of exempt organization and for profit business ventures, the sale of intellectual property assets, asset protection and tax deferral following major liquidity events, 1031 exchanges and renewable energy credits.
- Lead seller-side counsel on $95 million-dollar asset sale of regional pest control company to international private equity fund in 2017.
- Outside general counsel to The Foundation for University Hospital, a 501(c)(3) organization, which supports University Hospital, a Level One trauma center in Newark, New Jersey.
- Serves as outside counsel to the US-Mexico Border Health Commission, a 501(c)(3) organization under the auspices of the Mexican Consulate.