- Email: Philip.Hinson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 704.926.3750
- Fax: 704.557.9932
Philip Hinson is an associate in the Charlotte office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Labor & Employment Practice.
Phil represents employers and management in federal and state courts and administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He regularly defends employers in a wide variety of disputes involving claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful discharge arising under Title VII, Section 1981, the FMLA, the ADEA, the FLSA, the FCA, and other federal and state laws. He defends employers in wage and hour disputes and other matters related to compensation issues.
Phil also represents employers in disputes involving trade secrets, non-compete, non-solicitation, and other restrictive covenant issues.
Phil provides frequent advice and counsel to employers with the goal of complying with the law and navigating issues that commonly result in litigation such as ADA reasonable accommodation requests, FMLA leave requests, and internal investigations of allegations of discrimination and harassment. He also drafts and reviews employment, severance, non-compete and other restrictive covenant agreements, conducts audits of HR practices, and provides management training on legal compliance.
Immediately after graduating from law school, Phil served as law clerk to the Honorable Graham C. Mullen, Senior United States District Court Judge for the Western District of North Carolina.
Hiring and Firing: HR Strategies to Avoid Legal Mistakes, National Business Institute, 2014
State Bar Admissions
- North Carolina
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar
Awards & Honors
Super Lawyers® Rising Star, Employment & Labor 2014–2019
Campbell University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2011
Wake Forest University
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 2004
- Successfully defended employers against administrative charges alleging various wage and hour violations
- Successfully obtained injunctions on behalf of employers in non-compete and restrictive covenant claims
- Successfully obtained dismissal with prejudice of disparate pay, disparate discipline, failure to promote, hostile work environment, retaliation, and FMLA claims on behalf of employer in federal court
- Successfully obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims, including Title VII and state law claims, on behalf of employer in federal court
- Successfully obtained pre-filing injunction on behalf of employer against litigant who repeatedly filed meritless and repetitive employment discrimination and Employee Retirement Income Security Act “ERISA” actions in federal and state courts
- Successfully obtained dismissal with prejudice of all Title VII claims brought against employer by former employee in federal court
- Successfully defended employers in litigation involving Title VII and FMLA claims in federal court
- Successfully defended employers in litigation involving wrongful discharge claims in state court
- Successfully defended employers against charges of discrimination pending before U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission