- Email: John.Hill@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 330.272.0044
- Fax: 216.344.9421
John Hill is a partner in the Cleveland office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice.
Mr. Hill is known for his uncommon level of jury trial experience for a commercial litigator. He has tried dozens of complex cases to jury verdicts, involving claims of fraud, fiduciary duty, business interference and breach of contract, amongst other issues. He has served as a “last minute” trial consultant to lawyers and their clients. He frequently teaches law students and practicing lawyers about jury selection and other trial techniques.
Mr. Hill frequently represents hospitals, physicians, lawyers and other professionals in litigation in state and federal courts. He also serves as a board room advisor to companies of all sizes, helping them to resolve corporate governance issues and to manage business problems that could result in litigation.
Mr. Hill is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell and has been recognized and honored for many years by Best Lawyers in America, Ohio Super Lawyers and other peer ratings.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Serves as guest lecturer on jury selection techniques at the University of Akron School of Law's Summer Trial Institute.
- Serves as invited faculty member at National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) three-day seminar for lawyers seeking instruction regarding deposition skills.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Awards & Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2020), in three distinct categories: commercial litigation, “Bet-the-Company” litigation and personal injury.
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2005-2020), as voted by his peers.
- Named Best Lawyers in America® ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in the Akron area (2016, 2018).
- Recognized in Ohio Super Lawyers® Top 100 (2016).
- Recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition® for Business Litigation (2015).
- Named by Best Lawyers in America® as ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in “Bet-the-Company” litigation (2010).
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
Juris Doctor, 1987
Gannon University, Erie, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts, 1984
- KB Resources v. Patriot Energy Partners, 2018-Ohio-2771. Obtained defense verdict in jury trial involving fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims where Plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $40 million regarding operation and sale of oil and gas company assets.
- Levine v. Smith, 591 1. A. 2d 194 (1991) Co-counsel for shareholders in class action litigation against an American multinational vehicle manufacturer, regarding repurchase of stock from shareholder H. Ross Perot; Delaware’s Supreme Court addressed business judgment rule, and demand requirements in shareholder derivative actions.
- Adams v. Isquick, 2002-Ohio-3988 (Ohio App. 9 Dist 2002) Represented nationally renowned automobile restorer when sued by client; obtained $2.8 million verdict for client on counterclaim for defamation and tortious interference with business relations.
- Boutsicaris v. Akron General Medical Center, 1997 WL 270552 (Ohio App. 9 Dist 1997) Represented physician who was removed from hospital’s teaching program, in retaliation for his complaints about patient care issues; obtained $5 million verdict for defamation and tortious interference with business relationships.
- Swiss Reinsurance America Corp. v. Roetzel & Andress, LPA., 837 N.E. 2d 1215 (Ohio App. 9 Dist. 2005). Defended law firm in legal malpractice action by insurance company, in case testing the limits of privity and standing to sue attorney for malpractice under Ohio law.
- Cowett v. TCH Pediatrics, Inc., 2006 – Ohio – 5269 (Ohio App. 7 Dist. Sep 27, 2006); appeal not allowed by 112 Ohio St.3d 1492, U.S. cert. den., 552 U.S. 941, 128 S.Ct. 115. Represented nationally renowned physician in case challenging the scope of federal “peer review” immunity for hospitals that discipline physicians, under the Health Care Quality Immunity Act.
- Doe v. Marlington Local School District, 122 Ohio St.3d 12, 907 N.E. 2d 706 (Ohio Supreme Court 2009). Represented parents of developmentally disabled minor child who was sexually assaulted on school bus. Case concerned the question of whether driver’s negligent supervision of students constituted “negligent operation” of the vehicle, within meaning of Ohio’s statutory immunity for political subdivisions.