- Email: Bill.Helfand@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.460.4614
- Fax: 713.759.6830
Bill Helfand is a partner in the Houston and Salt Lake City offices of Lewis Brisbois and is a vice-chair of the Labor & Employment Practice.
Bill’s practice covers all types of litigation, arbitration, and dispute resolution. Based on his demonstrated problem-solving approach, both private and public entity clients of all types reach out to Bill to handle their most difficult legal problems. Having been called upon to handle cases of all types, including labor and employment, commercial litigation, civil rights, and public entity professional liability defense in over 175 jury trials and arbitrations, Bill has achieved remarkable success for many clients. Bill’s labor and employment law practice focuses on the defense of both public and private employers throughout Texas and the United States. Bill also has substantial experience handling a variety of appeals and cases and he is responsible for hundreds of reported appellate and supreme court decisions, many of which are significant decisions on important legal issues under both the state and federal law.
Bill also advises and represents businesses of all sizes, from small companies to some of America’s largest, in commercial disputes. Bill’s problem-solving approach allows clients to evaluate risks and accomplish their desired results more quickly and efficiently. But, if arbitration or trial are necessary, Bill brings an accomplished level of expertise to every matter.
Bill is actively involved in advising clients on risk management and policy creation and implementation. He regularly provides training in labor, employment and civil rights and governmental liability training and training for employers and managers, governmental officials and employees in all areas of law. Bill is regularly asked to speak in legal continuing education and other forums, he is frequently interviewed by various media, and he speaks frequently to peer and professional groups. Bill has served as an adjunct instructor for Sam Houston State University’s law enforcement and corrections management professional development programs and as visiting adjunct professor for University of Houston, Clear Lake on the topic of business law.
Mr. Helfand is credited with over 200 reported opinions, many of national or regional jurisprudential significance.
- "Should employers include class-action waivers in their arbitration agreements?," Westlaw Journal Employment, January 10, 2012
- Contributing Chapter Author, "Responding to Changes in the FLSA and Other Employment Legislation," The Impact of Recent Regulatory Developments in Employment Law (Aspatore Books 2009).
- Contributing Chapter Author, "The Impact of Recent Regulatory Developments in Employment Law," Thomson Reuters Publishing, 2009.
- “When Free Speech Isn’t,” The Corporate Counsel, July 2005.
- “Free Speech is Not Always Free: Employee Speech Has Its Limits,” Houston Business Journal, April 2005.
Certified as a Texas Mediator in 1992
- Former Scoutmaster, Troop 55, St. John the Divine Episcopal Church, Houston, Texas
- Volunteer Pilot for Angel Flight, Pilots and Paws, and Veteran's Airlift Command
Texas State Bar Advanced Personal Injury Course for 2020, "Advanced Tort Claims Act - What’s Left?", Summer 2020
State Bar Admissions
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
United States Supreme Court
United States Courts of Appeal for the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- National Panel of Arbitrators
- National Panel of Mediators
Awards & Honors
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- The Insurance Bar Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys
- Who’s Who Among American Lawyers
- Texas Magazine’s Texas Super Lawyer list
Tulane University College of Law
Juris Doctor with Honors, 1987
Tulane University College of Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of Arts, 1984