- Email: Hellar-Ann.Hancock@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.680.5172
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Hellar-Ann Hancok is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability Practice. For more than 32 years, Ms. Hancock has represented insurance carriers in high profile bad faith actions. She also handles large, complex general litigation matters including product liability, automobile and personal injury cases.
She specializes in litigation and trial of complex, large exposure insurance coverage and bad faith lawsuits arising out of both third-party and first-party policies in both commercial and personal lines. She practices in both State and Federal court, and has published and lectured in the insurance and bad faith fields.
Before joining Lewis Brisbois, Ms. Hancock was a partner in a prominent Southern California law firm. Her wide-ranging experience is illustrated by this sampling of representative cases.
- Everett Associates v. Transcontinental Ins. Company, U.S. District Court, Northern California. Bad faith action arising out of Transcontinental's denial of coverage to Everett Associates for defense and indemnity in a patent infringement action. Prevailed on summary judgment and Motions In Limine to dispose of the case before trial. Everett appealed and Transcontinental prevailed on appeal.
- Enodis Corporation v. Transcontinental Insurance Company. U.S. District Court, Ninth Circuit. Bad faith action seeking $73 million in damages for Transcontinental's denial of a defense to Enodis and improper settlement of nationwide furnace litigation against it by Consolidated industries. Prevailed on 5 motions for summary adjudication to strip Enodis of all damages except $250,000 in attorneys fees which went to trial. Obtained defense verdict and Enodis appealed. Appeal pending (February 2010).
- Superpoweraffiliates.com v. Transcontinental Insurance Company. U.S. District Court, Northern California. Bad faith action arising out of Transcontinental's denial of defense and indemnity to superpoweraffiliates.com for a multi-million dollar stipulated judgment obtained via conspiracy between the insured and the plaintiff in the underlying action. Prevailed on summary judgment and then on appeal.
- Defeating Bad Faith Claims in Tort Actions, Agenda, a publication of the Latin American Agents Association, October 2009
- A Tragedy, Not a Handicap: At Issue; Is AIDS a Handicap? ABA Journal, February 1997
- AIDS in the Workplace, Congressional Quarterly 1986.
State Bar Admissions
- California Bar Association
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
Pepperdine University Law School
Juris Doctor, 1984
University of Maryland
Bachelor of Science in Journalism and a minor in Political Science, 1980