- Email: Megan.Grossman@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 215.977.4087
- Fax: 215.977.4101
Megan Grossman is a partner in the Philadelphia office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Life Sciences Practice. Ms. Grossman is a trial attorney representing companies in general liability, products liability and complex litigation matters. Having started her career in the biomedical field, Ms. Grossman now focuses her practice on representing various medical device and pharmaceutical companies in products liability matters relating to life sciences and biotechnology. She represents medical device companies in claims arising out of alleged malfunctions of surgical equipment, instruments, and implants; defending pharmaceutical companies in actions arising out of personal injury claims involving prescription medicines or over-the-counter (OTC) drugs; defending companies in relation to claims involving clinical trials; and serving as defense counsel in numerous mass-tort litigations both locally and nationwide. She has also defended several compounding pharmacies in wrongful death/medical malpractice matters. Ms. Grossman is experienced in all stages of litigation, including the coordination of discovery, trial preparation, depositions, court appearances, fact investigation, and the drafting of pleadings, motions, and briefs in state and federal jurisdictions.
- Drafted appellate brief in an OTC pharmaceutical (nasal spray) products liability matter which resulted in the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals affirming the U.S. District Court's decision to grant summary judgment on behalf of the pharmaceutical manufacturer. Read the District Court's decision here.
- Has helped defend other product liability cases including a construction accident case, a case for a component part distributor, golf car products liability cases, a class action lawsuit involving a flood, and a medical device case involving a patient lift manufacturer.
- Defended a compounding pharmacy in a wrongful death/medical malpractice action.
- Defended a roofing products manufacturer in warranty claims actions.
- Defended multiple charter schools in special education matters, including due process complaint hearings pursuant to the IDEA.
- Successfully defended a licensed auto tag and title-issuing agent in Philadelphia accused of negligently providing registration documents and a license plate which was later attached to a vehicle involved in a catastrophic accident involving a death, a paralysis, and personal injury.
- "Hybrid Medical Devices Granted Express Preemption by Third Circuit," Megan E. Grossman, Asher Block, The Legal Intelligencer, April 16, 2018
- "Sessions Clears Way for Food Companies to Ignore FDA Guidance Drugs, Cosmetics, Medical Devices Also Now Clear of Some Federal Prosecutions for Noncompliance," Dan Flynn, Food Safety News, February 13, 2018
- "Under New DOJ Policy, FDA Guidance Documents Cannot be Used to Prosecute Cases," Megan E. Grossman, The Legal Intelligencer, February 12, 2018
- "SCOTUS Hears Argument About 'Educational Benefit' Under the IDEA," Megan E. Grossman, The Legal Intelligencer, February 13, 2017
- "ADA Exception for Religious Schools and Defamation Against Parents," Megan E. Grossman, The Legal Intelligencer, April 18, 2016
- "Legal Duties for Schools in Addressing Student-on-Student Harms," Megan E. Grossman and Kim N. Nguyen, April 20, 2015
- "Seeking Recourse Under the IDEA After a School Closure," Megan E. Grossman, February 5, 2015
- Megan Grossman and John Borelli Author Employment Law Article in The Legal Intelligencer, September 16, 2014
- Lance v. Wyeth: Not the “Redux” the Pharmaceutical Industry was Seeking, January 29, 2014
- Speaker, Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference, American Conference Institute (ACI), Boston, MA, July 25-27, 2018
- Co-chaired, HB Litigation Conferences’ Drug & Device Defense Conference, Hub Cira Center in Philadelphia, October 24, 2017
- Panelist, "Trump Administration: Keeping Ahead of the Changes," American Conference Institute's (ACI) 4th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, July 21, 2017
- Speaker, "Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Pre-answer Motion and Case Management Strategies to Combat Desperate Legal Theories and Unusual Circumstances", Medmarc's 29th Annual Medical Device Seminar, La Jolla, CA, June 8-10, 2016
- Speaker, "Emerging Risks of Today," HB Litigation Conferences Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum 2016, Atlantic City, NJ, April 21, 2016
- Co-chaired, HB Litigation Conferences’ Drug & Device Defense Conference, Hub Circa Center in Philadelphia, October 20, 2015
- Panelist & Speaker, "Ethics: In-House Counsel and Attorney-Client Privilege.", HB Litigation Conference's Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum 2015, April 20, 2015
- Speaker, "Product Liability Litigation Trends for 2015," Legal Intelligencer/ALM In-House Counsel CLE Seminar, March 24, 2015
- Co-chaired, HB Litigation Conferences presents Drug & Device Defense: Emerging Litigation and Regulatory Developments, Philadelphia, PA, October 22, 2014
State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device and Women in the Law Committee, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, former Civil Litigation Section Council, Member
Awards & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2018—2022
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List, 2018 & 2019
- Awarded the City & State Pennsylvania's (City & State PA) Inaugural Award, "Above & Beyond: Honoring Women of Public and Civic Mind.", March, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state under the age of 40 are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2008, 2013)
Juris Doctor, 2003
Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering, 2000
Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology, 1996