- Email: Michael.Gonzales@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 214.722.7144
- Fax: 214.722.7111
Michael Gonzales is an associate in the Dallas office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. He has experience representing clients in almost all aspects of litigation, including depositions, hearings, pre-trial motions, post-trial motions, and appellate work. Additionally, Michael regularly represents clients in arbitration and mediation.
Prior to law school, Michael worked in the insurance industry as an underwriter. He focused his legal education on insurance and business law, and in addition to his Juris Doctor, he earned his Masters in Business Administration. Michael served as the Editor in Chief of his law journal and also on Texas Tech University School of Law's advocacy organization, the Board of Barristers, which is ranked in the top 25 nationally and where Michael was ranked a top-ten advocate for the class of 2016. Michael is currently pursuing the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation in order to be a more effective advocate and better understand his clients’ business and litigation needs.
Michael assists clients with professional liability litigation, complex insurance litigation, coverage counseling, and commercial litigation. He represents brokers, agents, financial planners, investment advisors, managing general agents, third-party administrators, and attorneys in litigation involving professional negligence, breach of fiduciary duties, and malpractice. With regards to insurance coverage and litigation, Michael has experience defending insurers in litigation alleging breach of contract and the duty to defend, bad faith, improper claims handling, Stowers liability, Insurance Code violations, Deceptive Trade Practices and failure to adequately reserve rights. He also counsels insurers on policy interpretation, drafting, and coverage for new and existing product lines. His experience includes drafting policy language to address ridesharing, unmanned aerial vehicles, and professional liability risks.
Michael is passionate about self-development and finding new, innovative ways to improve service delivery.
- Presentation to CPCU Society, ‘Concurrent Causation: Policy Language and Hurricane Harvey Litigation’ (September 2018)
- Presentation to insurer client, 'Insurers' Duty to Defend' (April, 2018)
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States Eastern District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Dallas Bar Association, Member
- Claims Litigation Management Alliance
- Dallas Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practices Section
- Dallas Bar Association Trial Skills Section
- Dallas Young Lawyer’s Association
- Texas Bar Insurance Law section
Texas Tech University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2016
- Editor in Chief of the Business & Bankruptcy Law Journal
- Board of Barristers Member (reserved for the top 10% of Texas Tech School of Law student advocates)
- Co-Founder of the Law & Technology Association
- Research Assistant to Professor Sally Henry
- Business Law Concentration Certificate
Texas Tech University Rawls College of Business
Masters in Business Administration, 2016
University of the Incarnate Word
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 2010