- Email: Lauren.Godfrey@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 412.567.5113
- Fax: 412.567.5494
Lauren D. Godfrey, CIPP/US is a partner in the Pittsburgh office of Lewis Brisbois and is a member of the Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice Group. Ms. Godfrey possesses the ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) credential from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Ms. Godfrey counsels clients across business sectors as to best practices in information privacy and data security. She assists clients in responding to data security incidents whether it be ransomware, business e-mail compromises, insider threats, or protected health or financial information data breaches.
As part of the Lewis Brisbois rapid response team, Ms. Godfrey conducts initial assessments of the data security problem being faced by clients and facilitates those forensic and/or remediation services required to contain, analyze, investigate, and remediate the incident. Ms. Godfrey assesses the client’s consumer and regulatory notification obligations under applicable state, federal, and international laws, and assists clients with external communications such as consumer or employee notifications, regulatory reporting, and media holding statements.
Ms. Godfrey is also an experienced litigator having managed a national trucking docket and defended trucking companies and their drivers in catastrophic injury cases across the country. Her litigation experience also includes the defense of insureds in business torts, personal injury lawsuits, cargo claims and PHRC and EEOC claims of discrimination.
Ms. Godfrey possesses a certificate in Health and Hospital Law. Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, she represented health care providers and hospitals in Pennsylvania and New York providing her with valuable insight into HIPAA Privacy & Security issues as they affect those entities.
Ms. Godfrey practiced in the Florham Park, New Jersey office of a Philadelphia-based firm in a variety of practice areas. Ms. Godfrey counseled and represented pharmaceutical and medical device companies in mass tort personal injury lawsuits and state attorney general investigations. She was a member of a national defense team involving the recall of an orthopaedic medical device and resulting multi-district litigation. Ms. Godfrey also represented business entities in business torts, toxic tort asbestos and environmental litigation. She represented life insurance companies defending against transfers of structured settlement annuities.
- August 23, 2018 Lauren Godfrey, Kyle Black Appointed to Cybersecurity Committee
- May 08, 2018 Lauren Godfrey, Todd Gray to Speak at PMTA Membership Conference
- April 05, 2018 Lauren Godfrey, Kyle Black Published in ABA Journal
- July 31, 2017 Lauren Godfrey Named Vice Chair of Privacy Committee
Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Technology Committee, Past Chair.
- Justin Wear, Robert Flowers, Kyle D. Black, Lauren D. Godfrey, and Roberta D. Anderson, “Recent Developments in Cybersecurity and Data Privacy,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 53, No. 2, Winter 2018.
- Lauren D. Godfrey, “FDA Issues Draft ‘Guidance for Industry Fulfilling Regulatory Requirements for Postmarketing Submission of Interactive Promotional Media for Prescription Human and Animal Drugs and Biologics,’” Pharmaceutical Compliance Monitor, March 31, 2014.
- Lauren D. Godfrey, Daniel E. Tranen, Richard W. Bale & Paul M. Shapiro, “Recent Developments in Products Liability,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Volume 49, Number 1, Fall 2013, 351.
- “Tech Tips: Ten Tips for E-Filing Court Documents,” TortSource, Winter 2009 Issue of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section.
- “E-Discovery: A Hands-On Approach,” TortSource, Summer 2006 Issue of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section.
Certificate in Health & Hospital Law, Seton Hall University Law School
- Stepping Stones Children’s Center— Board of Directors, Parent Director, 2012-2014; Vice-President, 2014-2015
- Girls Scouts of Western Pennsylvania, Troop Treasurer, 2015-present
- Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, Children’s Theatre Board Member, 2017
- Panelist, “Update Products liability,” Insuring the Future of Manufacturing Forum, sponsored by Ironshore, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 13, 2018
- Speaker, “The First 48 hours following a catastrophic motor vehicle loss,” at the Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association Annual Conference at The Hotel Hershey in Hershey, Pennsylvania on May 11, 2018.
State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
Western District of Pennsylvania
United States Supreme Court
- Allegheny County Bar Association—Civil Litigation Section, Women in the Law, eDiscovery and Technology Committee, Health Law, Member, 2012-present
- ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Technology Committee, Member and Past Chair, 2003-2009
- Diversity in the Profession Committee, Member, 2003-2005
- Corporate Governance Committee, Member, 2004-2011
- Products Liability Committee, Member, 2013-present
- Cybersecurity Data Privacy Committee, Vice-Chair, August 2017-present
- Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, Member, August 2017-present
New York Law School
University of Scranton
Master of Science, Secondary Education
Bachelor of Arts
Seton Hall School of Law
Health & Hospital Law Certificate