- Email: Michelle.Gilboe@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 612.428.5002
- Fax: 612.428.5001
Michelle R. Gilboe is the managing partner in the Minneapolis office of Lewis Brisbois, a chair of the Life Sciences practice, and a vice-chair of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation, and the Products Liability practices.
Michelle is an experienced trial attorney with a national practice focused on defending pharmaceutical, medical device, industrial products and exercise equipment manufacturers. She has significant experience in complex class action, toxic tort and MDL litigation, including representation of multiple pharmaceutical manufacturers in various states. She also represents service-based providers in the medical, construction and energy industries, and has substantial experience with cases involving fires and explosions. Michelle has served as both national and regional counsel, and has vast experience defending complex medical and scientific matters in both state and federal courts, which allows Michelle to skillfully defend her clients in multiple jurisdictions.
For more than 20 years, Michelle has defended medical spa services in personal injury, class action matters and commercial claims including laser hair removal, cellulite reduction, microdermabrasion, botox and dermal fillers; medical devices in product liability matters including infusion pumps, catheters, surgical devices and devices used with pharmaceuticals such as chemotherapy drugs, flolan, analgesics, anesthetics and other pain relief drugs such as morphine; and construction and energy cases with catastrophic personal injury claims including explosions, electrocutions and significant property damage matters. Michelle also gained experience early-on through her work on fen-phen and hormone replacement therapy litigation. The combination of her experience and her acute understanding of the design, manufacture and science of the products she is defending allows Michelle to efficiently master the legal complexities of each case.
In addition to defending manufacturers across the country, Michelle routinely advises her clients on risk management strategies, regulatory compliance, reporting requirements and recall issues.
“FDA Seeks Software Bill of Materials for Medical Devices,” Co-Author, Client Alert, June 2018
- “Navigating the FDA’s new Medical Device Safety Action Plan plus...Staying Ahead of Class Actions in Life Science,” Co-Presenter, Client Webinar, May 2018
- “Connected Medical Technologies: Empowering Health Outcomes, Inviting Cybersecurity Litigation and the FDA,” Co-Presenter, Client Seminar, October 2017
- “Exercising Good Judgment,” Zone Defense Seminar, February 2017
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
United States District Court for the Central District of Minnesota
- Defense Research Institute — Drug and Medical Device Subcommittee
- Sports & Fitness Industry Association — Legal Task Force
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
Awards & Honors
Martindale-Hubbell —Rated AV Preeminent
University of Minnesota Law School
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1995
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- National Moot Court
- Misdemeanor Prosecution and Defense Clinics
- Faculty/Student Admissions Committee
University of St. Thomas
Bachelor of Arts in English and Political Science, magna cum laude, 1992
- Mock Trial National Top Ten Team Member
- Outstanding Mock Trial Attorney Award
- Aquinas Scholars Honors Program
- Delta Epsilon Sigma