- Email: Jeffrey.Gaylord@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 212.232.1302
- Fax: 212.232.1399
Jeffrey Gaylord is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Directors & Officers Coverage & Litigation Practice. He has over 20 years of experience counseling leading insurance companies, as well as corporations and their directors and officers, with respect to directors and officers liability in connection with securities class actions and derivative actions, financial institutions liability, professional liability, including lawyers and accountants, business interruption and general liability.
He has authored hundreds of coverage opinions, represented insurers in connection with most of the country’s largest financial frauds over the past two decades and successfully resolved, through negotiation or litigation, numerous high exposure D&O and professional liability claims. He has participated in coverage litigation involving major D&O coverage issues, including insured v. insured, advancement of defense costs, disgorgement, bad faith, rescission and other issues arising out of financial restatements and misrepresentations in the application.
Mr. Gaylord is frequently retained by some of the nation’s largest insurance companies to develop and draft new policy forms, endorsements and insurance products as well as structure claims buy-out and alternative resolution strategies for both individual claims and multiple claims scenarios. He has particular expertise in the development of alternative dispute and claims management programs in the insolvency context, having worked with large law firms and their insurers to develop claims resolution strategies when such law firms are faced with insolvency and the inevitable influx of malpractice claims.
Mr. Gaylord has extensive experience protecting the interests of non-profit corporations, charities and homeowners associations of condominiums and stock cooperatives, and their respective officers and directors, in a wide range of litigation and general corporate matters, including breach of fiduciary duty, discrimination, employment and errors and omissions claims. His particular expertise involves counseling board members on their duties, both in general and with respect to specific issues and transactions, to minimize risk and avoid litigation. Mr. Gaylord has also worked with insurers to draft policies that specifically address the unique exposures of these entities. He has also drafted by-laws, articles of incorporation and other corporate documents for non-profits and associations.
Mr. Gaylord has built longstanding relationships with his clients and is committed to providing them with well-reasoned and thoughtful advice from both a legal and practical business perspective.
Related Legal Alerts
- April 01, 2014 Insurance News Flash - April, 2014
Related Webinars & Seminars
- February 21, 2019 The Opioid Epidemic, Health Care & Insurance Issues
- Author, Trees in the Internal Affairs Forest- Tender Offers in the Wake of CTS, Syracuse University College of Law, Law Review, Vol. 39, No. 3
- Lewis Brisbois D&O Newsletter
State Bar Admissions
- New York
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section Executive Committee, Chair - Insurance Law Committee, 2002-2005
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
Awards & Honors
- Lecturer, Management & Executive Liability Insurance in Bankruptcy, New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section, Fall Meeting, 2001
- Chair, Proposed Federal Regulation of Insurance, New York State Bar Association, Fall Meeting, 2004
Syracuse University College of Law,
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1989
- Law Review, Executive Editor; Editor, Syndicus
Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 1983