- Email: Jim.Fraser@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.680.5042
- Fax: 213.250.7900
James Fraser is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a vice-chair of the Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation Practice. His practice focuses on environmental law matters including toxic tort and mold litigation, commercial trucking, personal injury and property damage matters.
Mr. Fraser is frequently asked to parachute into cases on the eve of trial for claims regarding toxic tort, asbestos litigation, and products liability. Examples of this work include the following:
- Defended a construction company in Call v. Prudential, the first sick building case to go to trial in the United States with twenty plaintiffs all claiming to have been exposed to several injurious chemicals during construction; the client contacted Mr. Fraser two weeks before trial, and he was able to settle the case shortly thereafter.
- On two separate cases where the plaintiff had obtained verdicts in both the liability portions of the trials, Mr. Fraser was called upon to try the damage portion of the claims. Both cases had settled before the damage phases began.
- Obtained settlement for a specialty insurance company on a problem case involving a hi-protein drink product on the verge of trial which had settled right before jury selection.
- Negotiated and participated on the verge of trial in three mold cases, two of which generated substantial publicity, and was asked to consult in mold cases throughout the country thereafter.
- Represents an adhesive manufacturer on several matters when trial approaches and leads as their national benzene case advisor.
- Obtained favorable defense verdict when brought in on the eve of trial for a solar cell manufacturing company in a breach of contract action.
Mr. Fraser also litigates high profile environmental and contaminated property cases involving multi plaintiffs.
- Obtained a defense verdict in the first mold exposure case claiming personal injury damages to be tried in California
- Obtained a defense verdict in a highly publicized burn/wrongful death case
- Tried several mold exposure cases to verdict
- Handled hundreds of asbestos exposure cases
- Has tried several asbestos cases to verdict for various defendants in both Northern and Southern California
- Has obtained hundreds of dismissals in asbestos cases and has prevailed in many motions for summary judgment in such cases.
- National coordinating counsel for radar gun exposure cases
- Handled numerous groundwater and soil contamination cases
- Litigated the "Golden Eagle Refinery" case which is a published appellate opinion on environmental coverage issues
- Litigated the Imcera case which is a published appellate opinion on environmental coverage issues
- Tried to verdict a contaminated seed case in Imperial County
- Tried to verdict a case involving ARCO's solar energy company
- Recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars after obtaining a judgment against Korean Explosives Company, one of the largest companies in Korea
- Handled several cases arising out of a petroleum pipeline explosion which received national media attention
- Represented the Temple City School district in a much publicized mold exposure case involving approximately 50 plaintiffs
- Involved in a number of large environmental cases including the Stringfellow case, the McColl case and the BKK case. Primary lawyer in a multi-plaintiff suit against the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Facility in San Luis Obispo
- Tried the first sick building syndrome case in the United States
- Handled a number of transportation cases including a 61 plaintiff matter in which a prison bus collided with a gasoline tanker truck
- Litigated the Perris Sky Diver Crash in which seventeen sky divers died and five others were permanently injured
- "The Allison Trial: How to Defend a Mold Case" DRI (Defense Research Institute) on mold litigation
- "Science in Mold Litigation" Mealey's on mold litigation
- "Seeking Reimbursement Under the Buss Case" Insurance subsection of the ABA on Best case reimbursement claims
- "Mold: Fact and Fiction" The Institute of Industrial Hygienists on mold litigation
- "Developments in Environmental Litigation" The Institute of Environmental Engineers on environmental litigation
- "Calculating Damages in Environmental Cases" The Institute of Accounting Professionals on environmental litigation
- "Developments in Property Contamination Cases" Cable television interview on environmental litigation
- Numerous presentations for clients such as St. Paul/Travelers, Farmers, AIG, etc.
- International Court of Trade
- Small Business Association of California
Awards & Honors
- Named "Super Lawyer" for environmental law in Los Angeles Magazine (2007)
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Daily Journal for one of the top ten defense verdicts of the year in 2001 for the first personal injury mold case to receive a defense verdict in California, the first Sick Building Syndrome case to be tried in the US and obtained a defense verdict in another mold case which received national publicity.
University of California at Los Angeles
Juris Doctor, 1975
University of California at Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts, 1971