- Email: Laura.Farrant@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 954.678.4064
- Fax: 954.728.1282
Laura Farrant is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Insurance Coverage Practice.
Laura F. Farrant focuses her practice on first and third-party liability, auto and property insurance coverage, bad faith litigation, and general commercial litigation. Ms. Farrant represents national and international insurance and corporate clients in complex actions in state and federal courts.
Liability Insurance Coverage and Defense
Ms. Farrant has extensive experience representing insureds and insurers in first and third-party liability insurance matters involving premises liability defense, professional liability defense, products liability defense, automobile negligence matters, construction defects, condominium and homeowner's association defense, and negligent security, among others. She has obtained favorable judgments and settlements, even in the most challenging jurisdictions and in cases involving numerous parties.
Property Insurance Coverage
Ms. Farrant regularly litigates and advises client on property insurance coverage issues and allegations of bad faith and unfair claims settlement practices. She handles both residential, commercial property, and auto losses including, but not limited to, sinkhole, water, wind, and fire claims, vandalism, theft, and business interruption and lost profits claims. Ms. Farrant regularly works with medical experts and providers, structural engineers, forensic accountants, building consultants, and other expert witnesses, to develop the most effective litigation strategy for each case.
Bad Faith Litigation
Ms. Farrant represents insurers in cases involving Florida's Bad Faith Statute and Unfair Trade Practices Act, and the Federal Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act and Unfair Claim Settlement Practices Act. She regularly defends and obtains favorable results regarding allegations of bad faith in Florida courts as well as regulatory proceedings with the Florida Department of Financial Services. She has extensive experience regarding the timing and triggers related to undisputed and interim payments, as well as the procedures for proper adjustment of insurance claims. Ms. Farrant has presented and published on these issues for the American Bar Association's Torts Trial and Insurance Property Section.
Complex Commercial Litigation
Ms. Farrant successfully advocated for her national and international corporate clients in complex litigation actions in state and federal courts nationwide. Ms. Farrant has represented clients in cases involving international trade disputes, securities violations, unfair and deceptive trade practices, fraud, foreign corrupt practices violations, corporate espionage, and cyber security breaches. She also has notable experience in will and trust contests as well as employment discrimination matters. Ms. Farrant has represented multiple Fortune 500 companies and obtained favorable results for those clients.
Ms. Farrant served as legal advisor to a U.S. Senator working on the confirmation of the first Hispanic-American justice to the U.S. Supreme Court, Sonia Sotomayor. Additionally, Ms. Farrant served as a foreign affairs liaison to a U.S. Congressman where she drafted various reports utilized in the passage of several Congressional bills regarding human rights issues in off-shore detention centers. She also clerked for the Honorable Gill S. Freeman, Circuit Court Judge of the Eleventh Circuit of Florida, Complex Business Litigation Division. More recently, Ms. Farrant has been involved in lobbying efforts on behalf of the insurance industry to reform Florida's laws on the assignment of benefits.
Ms. Farrant was a Florida-licensed insurance agent for 10 years and has been working with the insurance industry for almost two decades. She has taught financial literacy seminars at the University of Miami and in several schools throughout Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
Co-Author, "Let's Agree to Disagree", American Bar Association's The Brief, Winter 2018 edition.
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- U.S. National Committee for UN Women, Miami Chapter
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Presenter, "Property Insurance and the Sharing Economy," The 2019 Spring Meeting for the American Bar Association TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee.
- Conference Co-Chair, "What Keeps you up at Night," The 2018 Spring Meeting for the American Bar Association TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee.
- Presenter, "The Important of Time and Money," 2018 Windstorm Insurance Network Conference.
- Presenter, "Litigation Involving Allegations of Unfair Claim Settlement Practices," 2017 HarrisMartin's Hurricane Irma and Maria Conference.
- Presenter, "Complex Code Upgrade Coverage Issues," 2017 HarrisMartin's Hurricanes Irma and Maria Conference.
- Presenter, "Let's Agree to Agree: Undisputed Amounts and Partial Payments," The 2017 Spring Meeting for the American Bar Association TIPS Property Insurance Law Committee.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida
- American Bar Association – Torts Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Property Insurance Law Membership and Diversity Vice-Chair, 2018–2019
- Property Insurance Law Spring Conference Co-Chair, 2017–2018
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Cuban-American Bar Association
The George Washington University Law School
- Presidential Merit Scholar
University of Oxford
University of Miami
Bachelor of Business Administration with Highest Honors