- Email: James.English@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 832.742.6732
- Fax: 713.759.6830
James English is partner in the Houston and Denver offices of Lewis Brisbois.
As a corporate attorney, Mr. English serves primarily the energy, mining, transportation and infrastructure development industries. Having spent nearly a decade in-house at an American petroleum and natural gas exploration and production company, Mr. English is an expert in the commercial agreements associated with deep water exploration & development, unconventionals, midstream projects, natural gas commercialization (LNG, pipelines, processing, GTL, industrial applications, etc.), and oilfield services. Mr. English is also a proven international lawyer having worked in more than 50 countries and is well versed in the requirements of international investment.
In Energy and Mining, Mr. English represents companies in all aspects of their operations: mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, purchase and sale agreements, farmouts, production sharing, joint bidding, carry and earning agreements, Drillcos, participation, field development, operating agreements, unit operations, gathering, transportation, terminal agreements, facility access, tolling, sharing, interconnect, production handling and seismic acquisition. Mr. English also has significant experience in the commercialization of both energy and mining projects and can assist with spot, short and long term SPAs for the purchase of LNG, gas, ngl's, oil, metals, and aggregates.
In Transportation, Mr. English has worked with pipelines, trucking, rail and aviation companies looking to sell or acquire businesses and assets. Having previously worked for the State of Colorado oil & gas regulator, Mr. English is experienced in what it takes to negotiate deals with a heavy regulatory influence.
In Infrastructure Development, Mr. English has worked on projects pertaining to offshore and onshore production facilities, FPSOs, LNG liquefaction plants, Regas, GTL plants, pipelines, gas processing plants, warehouse build out projects, ports, and mines. Mr. English's experience with infrastructure development makes him uniquely qualified to buy and sell business and assets in this area.
Finally, Mr. English has a narrow regulatory advocacy practice encompassing oil & gas approvals before the Colorado, Wyoming, Texas and Utah conservation commissions. As a former employee of the COGCC, Mr. English is well equipped to appear for clients before these commissions or provide regulatory interpretation advice as it may impact an M&A transaction.
- Presenter, AIPN Model Contracts Workshop, “Gas Sales Agreement, LNG Master SPA, and New Supplemental Gas Focused Agreements,” September 2018.
- Presenter, NAPE Business Conference,” Deal Making in a Changing Market,” March 2017.
- Presenter, AIPN National Oil Company Conference, “Structuring Unconventional and Deepwater Oil & Gas Contracts,” 2013.
- Moderator, AIPN International Petroleum Summit, May 2016.
- Guest Lecturer, Georgetown University Law Center (ILI), “International Petroleum Agreements,” 2011–2017.
- Guest Lecturer, Colorado School of Mines, “Business Development and Negotiations,” 2015.
- Guest Lecturer, University of Denver College of Law, “Damages in International Arbitration,” 2010.
- Guest Lecturer, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, “Upstream Oil and Gas Agreements,” 2015.
- Webinar, AIPN University CLE Course, “Joint Venture Management,” 2016.
State Bar Admissions
- Past Vice President, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- AIPN Model Contracts Review Committee
- Houston Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
The University of Illinois College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2008
Master of Arts, 2004
Bachelor of Arts, 2003