- Email: Jason.Daywitt@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 971.712.2818
- Fax: 971.712.2801
Jason Daywitt is a partner in the Portland office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Products Liability, Toxic Tort and Environmental and Long-Term Care and Elder Law Practices. Jason's practice emphasizes complex litigation, including the defense of product liability, toxic tort, environmental, and professional liability claims. He has diverse trial court experience, having tried cases or argued dispositive motions in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and California courts. Jason has tried or co-tried multiple cases to verdict, and successfully arbitrated or mediated dozens of others.
Jason has served as national counsel for several clients in toxic tort litigation, overseeing discovery, motions practice, expert witness development, settlement negotiations and trial. He continues to develop effective strategies for the defense of mass-tort litigation for several regional and national product manufacturers and distributors.
While attending the University of Oregon School of Law, Jason served as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation.
- Defense verdict in a $1.2 million medical malpractice claim against a local trauma hospital and emergency physician relating to an alleged failure to diagnose a knee fracture.
- Successfully co-defended an industrial laundry products distributor in a two-week product liability trial involving alleged asbestos exposure, resulting in a favorable verdict.
- Represented a senior living facility in a $1.1 million wrongful death claim relating to a resident drowning in a spa pool.
- Successfully represented at trial a large roofing contractor in environmental pollution claim relating to past ownership and operations of development property, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment in a $1.5 million product liability claim against a joint compound manufacturer based on conflict of laws and statute of limitations analysis.
- Successfully briefed and argued for application of government contractor defense in a three-week product liability trial against a Navy pump supplier, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in a medical malpractice claim against a hospital and trauma surgeons relating to an alleged delay in treating a partial arm amputation.
- Obtained dismissal at trial of a commercial synthetic stucco siding (EIFS) manufacturer and distributor relating to construction defect and product liability claims.
- Advocated successful settlement of a claim against an ambulance service provider for alleged untimely response to an accident scene.
United States Army, Military Intelligence (1990-94)
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, District of Western Washington
- Defense Research Institute
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, 2021
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation, University of Oregon School of Law (1997-99)
University of Oregon School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1999
Washington and Lee University
Bachelor of Arts, 1995