- Email: Clint.Corrie@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 214.722.7142
- Fax: 214.722.7111
Clint A. Corrie is a partner in the Dallas office of Lewis Brisbois and is a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation Practice. Mr. Corrie focuses his practice primarily in complex commercial litigation, with an emphasis on banking, securities litigation, and arbitrations before Securities arbitral panels and courts. He represents broker-dealers, investment advisers, wealth management advisers, hedge funds and private equity firms and their professionals in a wide range of securities matters including sales practices, customer complaints, suitability, REG BI, adviser fiduciary breach claims under The Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and supervisory claims, regulatory inquiries, investigations, and FINRA and SEC enforcement proceedings. Mr. Corrie is experienced in a broad range of commercial litigation and arbitration claims having tried jury and non-jury trials in state and federal courts, and before national and international arbitral tribunals. He has extensive experience prosecuting and defending clients in trade secrets, covenants-not-to-compete, and related intellectual and employment-related litigation involving injunctions and extraordinary relief.
Mr. Corrie has extensive experience in professional liability matters and coverage involving financial institution bonds. He has represented national banks and credit unions in litigation between financial institutions, involving syndicated loans and participations.
- Author, “International Joint Ventures: United States.“ published in International Joint Ventures, 2nd Edition, Juris Publishing, Inc 2020, D.Campbell, Editor
- Author, “Anatomy of a Reg BI Arbitration,” Practicing Law Institute, Securities Arbitration 2020 Course Handbook Series, Sandra D. Grannum, Chair
- “Trends, Developments & Updates in Broker-Dealer Regulation: What to Expect in 2019 and Beyond” , Webinar presenter, The Knowledge Group, February 2019
- Author, Chapter 19 –“International Joint Ventures in United States” in “International Joint Ventures ”, Second Edition, Juris Publishing, Release 7-2018, D.Campbell, Editor
- “The Fraud on the Market Doctrine: Significant Trends Developments and Legal Challenges in 2018 and Beyond”, Webinar presenter, The Knowledge Group, October 2018
- “FINRA Arbitrations: A Comprehensive Guide for 2018 and Beyond”, Webinar Presenter, The Knowledge Group, September 2018
- “Fraud on the Market – the Evolving Materiality Standard”, Webinar presenter, The Knowledge Group, January, 2018
- “Commercial Arbitration: a comparison among forums: (AAA, FINRA, and ICC)”, STA Bar Association, November, 2017
- “Hague Securities Convention: New Rules for Choice of Law Regarding Intermediated Securities”, The Comparative Law Yearbook of International Business, Vol. 39, 2017; Wolters Kluwer Publishers for Center for International Legal Studies
- The Knowledge Group, Webinar, Presenter, “Securities Enforcement and Litigation Trends and Developments in 2016,” January 2017
- Juris Publishing, Fourth Edition, Author, “International Joint Ventures – United States,” Fall 2016
- The Knowledge Group, Panelist, “FINRA Arbitrations: Tools & Practical Guide for 2016 and Beyond,” September 13, 2016
- Comparative Law Yearbook of International Business, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, Author, “International Commercial Arbitration in Brazil,” Vol. 35, November 2013
- Juris Publishing, Second Edition, Author, “International Joint Ventures – United States,” October 2012
- Vacating FINRA Arbitration Awards, Panel Leader, FINRA Supercourse Seminar, Network of Trial Lawyers, New York, New York, Fall 2012
- Practicing Law Institute Course Handbook Series, Securities Arbitration Institute, Author, “Objecting to and Limiting the Use of Regulatory Documents in Arbitration and Litigation Cases,” August 2010
- Center for International Studies, Presenter, “Global Regulatory Convergence and Securities Litigation Involving Foreign Investors in U.S. Courts,” Salzburg, Austria, June 2010
- Practicing Law Institute Course Handbook Series, Securities Arbitration Institute, Author, “Investment Advisers and Brokers: When is a Broker Subject to Fiduciary Duties,” August 2009
- Practicing Law Institute Course Handbook Series, Securities Arbitration Institute, Author, “Market- Timing, Late Trading and Market Manipulation,” August 2009
- Practicing Law Institute Course Handbook Series, Securities Arbitration, Author, “Record Retention Requirements in Securities Litigation and Arbitration,” August 2008
- Practicing Law Institute Course Handbook Series, Securities Arbitration Institute, Author, “Securities, Arbitration and Insurance: When Worlds Collide,” August 2008
- Comparative Law Yearbook of International Business, Kluwer Law International, Author, “Challenges in International Arbitration for Non- Signatories,” Vol. 29, 2007
- Center for International Legal Studies, Panel Moderator, “Recent Developments in International Arbitration; ”Speaker, “Challenges in International Arbitration For Non- Signatories,” Salzburg, Austria, June 2006
- Center for International Legal Studies, Presenter, “Product Liability Implications of Cross-Border Transactions and Accidents,” Whistler, Canada, 2005
- Dallas Business Journal, Author, “Be Cautious with International Arbitration Clauses,” July 11, 2003
- Houston Business Journal, Author, “International Arbitration Clauses Keep Trading Partners on Track,” April 25, 2003
- Craig v Southwest Securities, 2016 WL 115895 (FINRA arbitration award); Craig v Southwest Securities et al, Case No. 05-16-01378- CV, Dallas Court of Appeals, Fifth District, Dec.18, 2017 (affirming trial court’s final judgment confirming arbitration award)
- Republic Metals Corp v Mulligan Mint, 2013 WL 12087451 (trial order) (Aug 9,2013) (Denying Defendants Motion to Dismiss based on forum selection clause and lack of standing)
- In Re Mulligan Mint, 516 B.R.407 (N.D. Tex. 2014) (precious metals seized prior to bankruptcy filing were not part of the bankruptcy estate and did not violate the automatic stay)
- Pansey Yankey v Eliz. Hollweg Rivera, 2013 WL 3365261 (expungement under FINRA Rule 2080 of broker’s CRD approved)
- Weber Aircraft L.L.C v Krishnamurthy, 2014 WL 12521297 (E.D. Tex. 2014) (geographic limitations in restrictive covenant too broad; subject to reform)
- Education Management Services, LLC v. Tracey, 102 F.Supp.3d 906 (W.D Tex. 2014) (Texas Uniform Trade Secrets Act (TUFTA) not applicable when confidential information given under written agreement)
- Stroman Realty Inc v Jim Antt, Jeff Davi, Comms’rs of Real Estate, State of California et al., 528 F3d 382 (5th Cir.2008) (vacated and rendered district court opinion ; general jurisdiction could not be asserted on basis that Florida and California agencies had business offices in Texas ; Fla and California officials did not invoke specific jurisdiction)
- In re Kellogg Brown & Root, Inc., 166 S.W.3d 732 (Tex. 2005) (second-tier subcontractor not required to arbitrate in dispute between two primary contractors before International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) court) overruling In Re McGregor FIN OY, 126 SW3d 176 Tex. App-Houston [1st Dist.] 2003) (claims of subcontractor who was a non-signatory to contract between two parties with ICC arbitration designation were subject to arbitration)
- McGregor FIN OY v Gulf Coast Holdings, Inc. ICC Case No.12 142/SNK (ICC award for unpaid charges for elevator trunks and for attorneys fees)
State Bar Admissions
State Supreme Courts
- Texas Supreme Court
State Appellate Courts
- Texas Court of Appeals
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States Bankruptcy Courts
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Texas - All state courts
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
US. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas
- Chancellors Global Leadership Council, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Global Education Center, Advisory Board
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Advisory Board
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association - Compliance and Legal Section
- Texas Hedge Fund Association
- State Bar of Texas Litigation Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- DFW Financial Services Counsel Roundtable
- American Bar Association Banking Section, Payments and Electronic Banking Committee, Member; Business Law Section, Securities, Capital Markets, and Derivatives and Enforcement, Director Liability, and Troubled Banks Committees, Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Member: Securities Section, Tort and Insurance Section, Business Litigation Section, Blockchain Study Group
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Awards & Honors
- D Magazine "BEST LAWYERS" in Dallas, 2017-2021
- Securities Arbitration Commentator: Best Articles of 2009
Wake Forest University School of Law
- Co-Editor in Chief, American Journal of International Law
- National Trial Team
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
Bachelor of Arts with Honors
- Representation of the largest producing registered representative of a national broker-dealer in a series of customer claims alleging improper allocations in mutual funds and variable annuities and failure to monitor.
- Representation of a broker and investment adviser and a broker-dealer in a series of state and federal court and arbitration cases involving allegations of unsuitability, violations of insurance law, and failure to supervise a broker in the sale of and allocations within variable annuities sold to multiple customers in a year-long FINRA arbitration.
- Representation of a regional broker-dealer and investment advisor in a series of FINRA arbitration claims in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Illinois, and New Mexico involving allegations of unsuitability, failure to supervise, variable annuities, mutual funds, ETFs, corporate bonds, and margin trading in low priced securities.
- Representation of a current and former broker-dealer and brokers about suitability claims in equities accounts, and securities violations, including control person liability, in private equity limited liability partnerships managed by principals of the broker-dealer.
- Representation of the head of OTC trading for a regional securities firm in a three-week arbitration trial before an NASD arbitration tribunal.
- Provided regulatory advice under FINRA and state securities laws to client in acquisition of broker-dealer and investment adviser.
- Represented investment advisers in suit over failed merger/partnership.
- Representation of a sovereign state department of real estate in a challenge to the constitutionality under the Interstate Commerce Clause of their real estate licensing laws by an unlicensed out of state company at trial in federal court and on appeal to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of large international precious metals refiner in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts in litigation against a consignee of precious metals in actions involving injunctive relief, sequestration, and pre-judgment attachments, and trial in bankruptcy court.
- Representation of Iranian owner of foreign automotive parts supplier in lender liability case against master line of credit lender in state courts in Texas and in California.
- Representation of a California- based company against a Texas-based company in a series of cases in federal court in California and in state, federal and AAA arbitrations in Texas involving allegations of breaches of multiple trade secret, covenants-not-to-compete, non-solicitation and non-circumvention agreements.
- Representation of an $80 million estate in a will contest in probate court and subsequent litigation over Estate assets.
- Representation of tax and estate planning law firm in series of lawsuits claiming an estate planning strategy was an improper tax shelter.
- Representation of law firm serving as national counsel over a period of years in professional malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuits by former nationwide seller of insurance and securities products and related claims by salesmen over sanctions, cease and desist orders, and fines brought by multiple state securities regulatory authorities.
- Represented former CFO of technology company in litigation in Texas and Oklahoma over alleged breach of non-disclosure when CFO sued for compensation and stock options owed.
- Representation of a North Carolina-based national credit union participant against a Texas-based lead national credit union over a series of commercial development loan participations and failure of lead credit union to pay participants after the participated loans were refinanced.
- Representation of the FDIC as lead counsel in a number of Director and Officer and professional liability claim cases arising from failed banks.
- Representation of a national bank on a syndicated loan for large commercial real estate project in Texas.
- Representation of a large regional bank on claims that the bank funded a securities fraud scheme by making a series of loans to a customer who sold interests in a series of limited partnerships to investors
Insurance and Defense Litigation
- Representation of a pharmaceutical manufacturer in the defense of numerous cases involving a drug to treat Type II diabetes. Representation of an insurance carrier in coverage dispute with insured broker-dealer over claims involving losses under a fidelity policy arising from a fraudulent scheme by a broker.
- Representation of a foreign automobile manufacturer in a wrongful death case alleging defective passive restraint seat belts.
- Represented an insurance carrier in coverage claims by an insured arising from property damages to insured commercial high-rise building from Hurricane Rita. The case involved fraudulent billing practices and improper licensing of the remediation contractor and improper licensing of a remediation services.
- Represented an insurance carrier along with three other carriers on coverage claims by a former insured commercial property owner alleging property damages over a ten-year period from hail and wind.
International Litigation and Arbitration
- Representation of an international automotive products company against allegations by syndicated lenders that the company violated covenants of its master loan agreement by failing to timely disclose the bankruptcy of its German subsidiary.
- Representation of a manufacturer of lifting devices for the maritime industry before the International Chamber of Commerce Courts in Paris, France and in state and appellate courts in Texas involving allegations of breach of contract and fraud against a Finnish contractor who withheld substantial change of scope plans during the bidding process to supply elevator shafts to subcontract for a luxury cruise liner.
- Representation of Brazilian client in U.S. state court and federal court alleging breach of fiduciary duties in connection with foreign joint venture.
- Representation of a Canadian electronics manufacturer's maquiladora in Mexico in connection with the termination of its former CFO and claims before the Mexican Labor Board and parallel litigation in US bankruptcy court.
- Representation of U.S. based clients before ICDR arbitral tribunal on claims involving breach of fiduciary duties and misrepresentation in connection with contract to perform logging and sawmill operations in the Republic of South Sudan.
- Representing a major national bank in a securities fraud claim, alleging the bank knew or should have known about a fraudulent scheme of a commercial development borrower, and ceased lending to the developer.
- Representation of a high net worth client in claims involving auction rate securities.
- Representation of a national broker-dealer in federal court on claims against the broker-dealer and the issuer of variable annuity products.
- Represented investors/lenders in bank holding company in New York, who were defrauded when bridge loan financing provided as lenders was converted to an equity investment.