- Email: Gregg.Clifton@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 857.313.3950
- Fax: 602.385.1051
Gregg E. Clifton is a partner in the Phoenix office of Lewis Brisbois, a chair of the Collegiate & Professional Sports Law Practice, and a member of the Entertainment, Media & Sports Practice.
Gregg has extensive experience in the collegiate and professional sports world. He has advised numerous professional franchises on general labor and employment issues, including Title III ADA regulatory compliance and wage and hour issues. Gregg serves as lead counsel for several Major League Baseball teams in their salary arbitration matters and has represented NCAA and NAIA collegiate clients regarding rules compliance, investigatory matters and in disciplinary hearings. In addition, he has handled Title IX investigations and compliance issues for NCAA and NAIA member institutions. Gregg has also worked extensively in the area of agent regulation and enforcement in professional and college sports and regularly provides counsel on issues relating to NCAA and NAIA amateurism issues and athlete eligibility questions. He has also served as an expert witness in matters involving sports agents’ work and responsibilities, as well as athlete compensation issues.
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Gregg spent six years as chief operating officer and vice president of Team Sports for Gaylord Sports Management. He also served as president of the Athlete and Entertainment Division for famed sports attorney Bob Woolf’s firm, Woolf Associates, in Boston.
Gregg continues to counsel clients in the areas of collective bargaining negotiations, representation cases, arbitrations and National Labor Relations Board matters.
Gregg frequently serves as an expert speaker to law schools, including Harvard University, Boston College, Hofstra University, and Arizona State University, and bar associations regarding sports law issues, including agent regulation and salary arbitration. He is often called upon by national news media as a source for his commentary and opinion on legal issues in sports.
- Co-Author, “The Worlds of Music and Collegiate Sports Combine with NIL," LEAD1 Name, Image, & Likeness (NIL) Institutional Report: Issue #10, March 9, 2023
- Co-Author, "SC Pay-For-Play Bill For Student-Athletes Faces Obstacles,” Law360, December 22, 2022
- Co-Author, “Student-Athlete Name, Image, and Likeness Rights: What to Expect in 2021 and Beyond,” New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (February 2021)
- Co-Author, “In the Arena, A Sports Law Handbook,” New York State Bar Association (June 2013)
- Co-Author, “U.S. Department of Education’s “Dear Colleague Letter” Highlights Schools’ Responsibility for Accommodating Disabled Students in Extracurricular Activities” (March 2013)
- Co-Author, “Sexual Harassment and Professional Sports Organizations,” Professional Sports and the Law, Vol. 1, Is. 6 (January-February 2011)
- Co-Author, “U.S. Department of Education Eliminates Title IV Safe Harbors: Questions Remain On Compensation for Athletic Personnel Legal Issues In College Athletics,” Vol. 12, Is. 3 (January 2011)
- Co-Author, “MLBPA Issues New Sweeping Regulations Governing Agents,” Professional Sports and the Law, Vol. 1, Is. 5 (November-December 2010)
- Quoted, “3 Takeaways From NCAA's Report On Student-Athlete Support,” Law360, January 5, 2023
- Quoted, “Significant NLRB Move Will Aid Pursuit of College Athletes Becoming Employees,"
Sports Illustrated (SI), December 15, 2022
- Quoted, “Minor League Baseball Union Is ‘Game Changing,’ Experts Say,” Law360, September 15, 2022
- Quoted, “Law of the Game,” BallNine, June 20, 2022
- Quoted, “Lewis Brisbois Snaps Up Sports Labor Expert As Partner,” Law360, May 2, 2022
- Co-Presenter, “Labor Law Update,” LBBS Webinar, November 15, 2022
- Presenter, “Student Athlete Unionization,” Federal Bar Association (FBA) Webinar,” August 17, 2022
- Guest Speaker, “Conduct Detrimental: THE Sports Law Podcast,” June 3, 2022
- Guest Speaker, "Conduct Detrimental: THE Sports Law Podcast," January 6, 2023
State Bar Admissions
- New Jersey
- New York
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section and Forum on Entertainment and Sports Industries
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Past Chairperson of Sports Law Committee
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors (2021-Present)
Awards & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Sports Law” (2016-Present)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Lawyer of the Year: Sports Law” (2022)
- Legal 500 USA, “Recommended Attorney” (2018)
- The National Law Review, “Go To Thought Leader” (2019)
Hofstra University, Maurice A. Deane School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1985
Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 1982
- John Harvard Scholarship for Academic Excellence