- Email: Josephine.Brosas@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.6310
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Josephine Brosas is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice. Ms. Brosas is a registered patent attorney and focuses primarily on intellectual property and technology matters.
Her experience includes:
- Representation of clients in Patent Infringement, Trademark Infringement, Copyright Infringement, Trade Secret Misappropriation, Franchising, Defamation, Right of Publicity and Privacy, False Advertising and Unfair Competition litigation.
- Development of Intellectual Property and Technology management, protection and enforcement programs and procedures.
- Search, clearance and preparation and filing of patent and trademark applications.
- Preparation of patent non-infringement/infringement opinions.
- Due diligence investigations.
- Representation of and related legal advise to franchisors and franchisees regarding franchising issues and commercial disputes.
- Methods Development and Validation Scientist, Alpha Therapeutic Corporation/Grifols USA, Los Angeles, CA
- Legal Extern, California Division of Occupational Safety and Health
- "Trademark Protection for Beauty Brands," Korea Daily, November 2019
- “Changes to Design Patent Law Streamlines International Patent Application Process,” The Korea Times, August 29, 2016
- Represented a nutritional supplement company in a false advertising and unfair competition case brought by a competitor, Nutrition Distribution, LLC and succeeded having the case dismissed on demurrer without leave to amend. Plaintiff then appealed, and on November 28, 2017, the California Court of Appeal confirmed the trial court’s dismissal. A copy of the opinion is linked here.
- Represented an eyewear company in a patent infringement trial and obtained a multi-million dollar jury verdict, successfully opposed various post-trial motions and obtained attorney’s fees.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement agreement on behalf of a major shoe company involving Adidas’ three-stripe mark.
- Defended a major shoe company in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Texas involving external shoe spring patents, which culminated in an exceedingly favorable settlement.
- Represented a biotechnology company specializing in PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) technology which involved complex patent licensing and jurisdictional issues.
- Obtained over $34k in sanctions against opposing counsel in a highly contentious discovery dispute in a case involving purchase of a website and related intellectual property.
- Prosecuted several patent applications on chemicals, fiberglass compositions and mechanical devices such as shoe components and oil drilling tools and elements.
- Conducted IP due diligence in a multi-million dollar acquisition of a digital cinema solutions provider with the largest installed base of digital cinema servers in the Asia-Pacific region and the second largest globally.
- Intellectual Property Management Strategies – Korean Trade Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA), Omni Hotel, Los Angeles, CA, December 2014
- Trademark Clearance and Prosecution, San Fernando Valley Legal Secretaries Association, Los Angeles, CA, November 2013
State Bar Admissions
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Board of Governors, Philippine American Bar Association (PABA)
- Member, Los Angeles Intellectual Property Association (LAIPLA)
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
Awards & Honors
Southern California Super Lawyers “Rising Star” by Thomson Reuters and the publishers of Los Angeles Magazine
Southwestern University School of Law
Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 2005
- Recipient, CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Copyright Law, Advanced Copyright Law, Patent Law, Immigration Law, Community Property
- Recipient, Exceptional Achievement Award, Patent Application Drafting
- Named, Dean’s List, 2003-2005
- Recipient, Dean’s Merit Award, 2003-2005
- Top 10% of graduating class
University of California, Los Angeles
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, magna cum laude, 1999
- Provost’s Honor List and Chemistry and Biochemistry Departmental Honors