- Email: Jason.Blackstone@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 214.722.7132
- Fax: 214.722.7111
Jason Blackstone is a partner in the Dallas office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice. Mr. Blackstone is an experienced intellectual property attorney and litigator. He is also a registered patent attorney and experienced in all aspects of intellectual property. He concentrates his practice on intellectual property and commercial litigation. In these practice areas, Mr. Blackstone is well versed in providing counsel to clients as an “external-internal counsel” in the areas of intellectual property and commercial issues.
In the intellectual property arena, Mr. Blackstone has been involved with patent assertion and portfolio evaluation from the inception of patent mining efforts, to evaluation of patents against products and standards, to creation of negotiation and presentation materials, and finally to litigation of asserted, non-licensed patents. He has expertise in multiple technology areas, including but not limited to wireless technologies, telecommunications, computer hardware, computer and device software, and computer networking. He has extensive experience performing legal analysis on the scope and content of patent claims and related art. He has coordinated settlement efforts, including monetization strategies, portfolio evaluations and cross-licensing efforts. He also has experience with copyright material review and registration, and all aspects of trademark registration and litigation.
In the litigation arena, Mr. Blackstone has significant experience in coordinating a staff of attorneys during complex litigation before Federal District Courts and administrative bodies such as the International Trade Commission. He has overseen complex litigation involving up to 20 simultaneous different parties, involving parallel litigation in multiple countries, or parallel proceedings in front of federal administrative bodies.
Mr. Blackstone has been named by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2017, has served as a Barrister in The Honorable Barbara M. G. Lynn American Inn of Court, and is currently a Fellow in the Texas State Bar Foundation.
Mr. Blackstone is supportive of entrepreneurial endeavors and is a co-founder of the family-owned Blackstone Land & Cattle. He is also an active leader in a number of community and university-related groups and he blogs regularly on community issues and foreign policy affairs.
Registered Patent Attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Awards & Honors
- Named Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star 2012-2013, 2015, and 2017
- Nominated to Texas State Bar Foundation as a Fellow
- Named as a Barrister in The Honorable Barbara M. G. Lynn American Inn of Court
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
Executive MBA (in progress)
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA
- Finalist in Ames Moot Court Competition
- Editor for Journal of Law and Technology
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Bachelor of Science Dual Degree in Physics and Journalism, magna cum laude
- College of Science Faculty Achievement Award
- National Merit Scholar and Finalist
- Phi Kappa Phi, The Golden Key, Phi Eta Sigma
- Gen. James Rudder Normandy Scholar
- Counseled technology firms in pre-suit investigations and demand letter evaluations regarding intellectual property options and contractual and statutory remedies and relief as well as licensing strategies and licensing program and patent prosecution strategies and filings.
- Represented leading network and wireless technical provider defendant in a patent infringement suit involving wireless patents asserted against Wi-Fi industry standards, which included filing of inter partes requests for reexamination with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, resulting in a licensing agreement.
- Represented plaintiff technology company in patent infringement actions for multiple patents involving computer graphics and operating system software and video game software with the expert investigation, analysis, and review of over 15,000 video games and related graphics hardware in personal computers and video game consoles and resulting in multiple licensing agreements.
- Represented leading cellular corporations, as both plaintiff and defendant, in global patent litigation in multiple domestic and foreign court actions and two International Trade Commission investigations involving over 60 digital cellular and wireless patents as well as various mobile phone technology patents resulting in a cross-licensing agreement.
- Conducted review of patent portfolios of clients for possible assertion against industry standards and against particular defendants, including disassembly and examination or reverse engineering of infringing products.
- Represented wireless networking company in multiple domestic court actions against laptop manufacturers and semiconductor companies involving patents asserted against Wi-Fi industry standards and resulting in multiple licensing agreements.
- Represented wireless networking company against router and DSL manufacturers and semiconductor companies involving patents asserted against Wi-Fi and DSL industry standards and resulting in multiple licensing agreements.
- Represented technology company against cellular manufacturers and semiconductor companies involving patents asserted against cellular, broadband, and Wi-Fi industry standards resulting in multiple licensing agreements.
- Represented leading cellular corporation in global patent litigation in both multiple domestic and foreign court actions and simultaneous International Trade Commission investigations involving over 30 digital cellular and wireless patents resulting in a cross-licensing agreement.
- Represented leading wireless networking company in domestic court action against cellular manufacturers involving patents asserted against cellular, WiMAX and Wi-Fi industry standards resulting in multiple licensing agreements.
- Represented telecom corporation in review of asserted patents against corporation by strategic competitor involving patents asserted against telecommunications equipment located in telecom switching office.
- Represented oil and gas company in commercial litigation action and supervised technical expert reports regarding operation, drilling supervision, and safety processes on deep sea drilling platforms.
- Represented medical supply firm in domestic court action against peer competitor involving patent asserted against medical supply technology, which included covered business method patent review in front of United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Represented web video advertising company in multiple domestic court actions against video marketplace corporations involving video marketplace patents.
- Represented image encoding firm in domestic court action against children’s reading device manufacturer and retail defendants involving patent on encoding messages within images.