- Email: Nicole.Black@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2014
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Nicole Marie Black is an associate in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. Ms. Black represents attorneys, accountants, and real estate brokers on regulatory inquiries related to their licensure and on professional malpractice and business tort claims. Ms. Black’s practice also includes complex commercial and real estate litigation, as well as insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. Ms. Black represents contractors in payment disputes, including collection of fees under mechanics liens. She has experience representing private corporations on both plaintiff and defense in cases involving business breakups, regulatory investigations, and allegations of unfair trade practices. Ms. Black also represents public and private entities in land use and boundary disputes.
In her civic activities, Ms. Black values a global perspective of what it means to be a legal professional: she teaches, mentors, and guest presents in service to the community. Ms. Black is dedicated to improving the legal profession through her leadership of a variety of boards and committee of the Colorado Bar and Denver Bar Associations. In 2018, Ms. Black was named a Colorado Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- September 22, 2016 American Family Mutual Insurance Company v. Hansen
- September 23, 2016 Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith Newsletter - Summer/Fall, 2016
- Succession Planning with the Next Generation of Lawyers, The Docket, Oct. 11, 2018
- Modernizing the Regulation of Travel Insurance for a Consumer-Ready Market, Journal for the Federation of Regulatory Counsel (pending publication in Winter ed. 2014–2015) (co-authors Robert M. Ferm and Daniel Furman)
- The Creative Lawyer, Book Review, The Colorado Lawyer, February 2015
- Lees v. James, 16CA2024 & 17CA1154, 2018COA173, Dec. 13, 2013
- Represented attorney in a case involving claims of civil conspiracy, fraudulent concealment, fraudulent inducement, elder abuse, and extreme and outrageous conduct and prevailed on motion to dismiss all claims with prejudice, including obtaining attorney’s fees, which was affirmed in a published opinion by the Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Represented commercial business receiver in appellate litigation from a receivership action where receiver used equitable powers to liquidate the assets of the business and pay unsecured creditors before the secured creditor due to secured creditor’s actions in undermining preservation of the assets of the business, which was affirmed by the Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Represented law firm and attorneys in a case involving claim of malicious prosecution and prevailed on motion to dismiss all claims with prejudice.
- Represented contractor in a case involving failure to deliver commercial goods and prevailed on motion to dismiss all claims for lack of personal and subject matter jurisdiction.
- Represented excess insurance carriers in insurance coverage litigation involving third-party claims by primary carrier of bad faith related to settlement of the underlying claims, and successfully obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
- Represented property manager and property owner of a large residential apartment community on claims involving professional negligence and premises liability and successfully defeated class certification.
- Successfully defended seller of business in a commercial arbitration involving allegations by buyer of fraudulent transfer and various business torts.
Councilmember, Sturm College of Law Alumni Council, November 2013–2014 and 2016–Present
- Ms. Black is an Adjunct Professor in the Business Ethics & Legal Studies (BELS) Department of the University of Denver Daniels College of Business. She teaches Introduction to Business Law & Ethics, a foundational, required course for all sophomore business majors.
- Ms. Black has also worked as a Writing Adviser in the University of Denver Sturm College of Law Bar Success Program. The Bar Success Program is a post-graduation program offered to all graduates of Denver Law to help them master drafting bar exam essays and performance tests.
- Top 10 Pitfalls Lawyers Fall into and How to Avoid Them, Presenter, Colorado Bar Association CLE, Dec. 18, 2018
- Persuasive and Effective Trial Skills, Colorado Bar Association CLE, Nov. 29, 2017
- Women Mentoring Women CLE, Moderator, Denver Law Alumnae, Feb. 10, 2017
- Orientation Boot CAMP, Panelist, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), Denver, Colorado, Jan. 29, 2015
- CAMP Ethics Training, Presenter, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), Pueblo, Colorado, Apr. 8, 2014
- Orientation Boot CAMP, Panelist, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), Denver, Colorado, Jan. 23, 2014
- Law Preview Program, Guest Speaker, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado, Aug. 8, 2013
State Bar Admissions
- District of Columbia
United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Colorado Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Business Law Section Executive Council, 2016–Present
- Member, Joint Management Committee of the Denver and Colorado Bar Associations, 2016–Present
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Future of the Bar Planning Taskforce, November 2014–2017
- Chair, Sections Best Practices Committee, 2016–2018
- Past Chair, Young Lawyers Division Executive Council, 2014–2017
Denver Bar Association
- Mentor, Young Lawyers Division Mentoring Program/Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), 2012–Present
- Chair, Mentoring Planning Committee, 2014–2018
American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
District of Columbia Bar Association
Phi Beta Kappa Society
Beta Gamma Sigma Society
Awards & Honors
- Named a Colorado Rising Star for 2018, by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, 2018–Present
- Member of the Colorado Lawyers Committee Chair’s Roundtable, 2017–Present
- Commissioner for the Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice’s Commission on Development of the Profession, 2015–Present
- Co-coach, Daniels College of Business Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative Case Competition Team, 2015–2016
- Adjunct Professor of Business Ethics and Legal Studies, Daniels College of Business, University of Denver, 2014–2016
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2011
University of Denver, Daniels College of Business
International Business, magna cum laude, beta gamma sigma, highest honors, 2007
University of Denver
French, magna cum laude, phi beta kappa, high honors, 2007