- Email: Nicole.Black@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2014
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Nicole Marie Black is an associate in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. Her past practices have included insurance coverage and bad faith litigation and complex commercial litigation. Ms. Black also has experience in regulatory opinion work representing clients and their compliance needs for state and federal regulations, including motor vehicle, insurance, and Affordable Care Act matters.
In her civic activities, Ms. Black values a global perspective of what it means to be a legal professional: she teaches, mentors, and guest presents in service to the community. Ms. Black is dedicated to improving the legal profession through her leadership of a variety of boards and committee of the Colorado Bar and Denver Bar Associations.
- September 22, 2016 American Family Mutual Insurance Company v. Hansen
- September 23, 2016 Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith Newsletter - Summer/Fall, 2016
- Modernizing the Regulation of Travel Insurance for a Consumer-Ready Market, Journal for the Federation of Regulatory Counsel (pending publication in Winter ed. 2014-2015) (co-authors Robert M. Ferm and Daniel Furman)
- The Creative Lawyer, Book Review, The Colorado Lawyer, February 2015
- United States v. Nacchio and the Implications of an Emerging Circuit Split: Practical and Policy Considerations of Amending Gain as a Measure of Culpability, 87 Denv. U. L. Rev. 633, 2010
- Hall & Evans, LLC
- Davis & Ceriani, P.C.
- Jester Gibson & Moore, LLP
- Corporate Apprenticeship Program Intern, CenturyLink, Inc.
- Legal Intern, Grimshaw & Harring, P.C.
- Enforcement Division Intern, U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission
- Business & Licensing Section Intern, Colorado Attorney General’s Office
- Lawyering in Spanish Program Intern, M&M Bomchil Abogados, Argentina
Councilmember, Sturm College of Law Alumni Council, November 2013 - 2014 and 2016 - present
- Ms. Black is an Adjunct Professor in the Business Ethics & Legal Studies (BELS) Department of the University of Denver Daniels College of Business. She teaches Introduction to Business Law & Ethics, a foundational, required course for all sophomore business majors.
- Ms. Black has also worked as a Writing Adviser in the University of Denver Sturm College of Law Bar Success Program. The Bar Success Program is a post-graduation program offered to all graduates of Denver Law to help them master drafting bar exam essays and performance tests.
- Orientation Boot CAMP, Panelist, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), Denver, Colorado, Jan. 29, 2015
- CAMP Ethics Training, Presenter, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), Pueblo, Colorado, Apr. 8, 2014
- Orientation Boot CAMP, Panelist, Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program (CAMP), Denver, Colorado, Jan. 23, 2014
- Law Preview Program, Guest Speaker, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado, Aug. 8, 2013
District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Colorado Bar Association
- Immediate Past Chair, Young Lawyers Division Executive Council, 2014-Present
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Future of the Bar Planning Taskforce, November 2014-Present
- Council Member, Young Lawyers Division Executive Council, 2012-Present
- Young Lawyer Liaison, Business Law Section Executive Council, 2012 -Present
Denver Bar Association
- Chair, Mentoring Planning Committee, 2014-Present
- Mentor, Young Lawyers Division Mentoring Program, 2012-Present
American Bar Association
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Business Law Section
District of Columbia Bar Association
Phi Beta Kappa Society
Beta Gamma Sigma Society
Awards & Honors
- Fellow of the Colorado Bar Foundation, 2014-present
- Graduate of the Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training Program (COBALT), Class of 2014
- Adjunct Professor of Business Ethics and Legal Studies, Daniels College of Business, University of Denver, 2014-Present
- Writing & Oralist Member to the ABA National Appellate Advocacy Team, 2010-2011
- Recipient of the Honorable Mention Brief Award as Writing Member to the Vis International Commercial Arbitration Team, 2009-2010
University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2011
- Denver University Law Review Executive Board, Symposium Editor (Vol. 88) Editor (Vol. 87), 2009-11
- National Appellate Advocacy Moot Team, St. Louis Regional, 2010-11
- Vis International Commercial Arbitration Team, Writing Member, Honorable Mention Brief, 2009-10
University of Denver, Daniels College of Business
International Business, magna cum laude, beta gamma sigma, highest honors, 2007
University of Denver
French, magna cum laude, phi beta kappa, high honors, 2007