- Email: Jonathan.Beckerman@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 954.728.1280
- Fax: 954.728.1282
Jonathan A. Beckerman is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Labor & Employment Practice.
A go-to resource in complex employment matters, Jonathan A. Beckerman leverages his legal experience and deep subject matter knowledge to achieve successful results on behalf of management-side clients. His proactive counsel helps employers identify and mitigate workforce risks, particularly for companies in the hospitality, retail, construction, manufacturing and health/wellness sectors. Jonathan is a tenacious federal and state court litigator known for his thorough understanding of intricate employment issues, including:
- Wrongful termination
- Workplace harassment
- Public accommodation
- Employee leave
He also regularly interacts with state and federal agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), defending his client’s interests at every stage of the complaint/charge process – from investigations and negotiations to fact-finding conferences and administrative hearings. Additionally, he has accomplished the following for his clients:
- Achieved favorable results for a well-known luxury resort property that was sued by 50 staffing employees over alleged wage and hour violations
- Litigated to successful conclusion novel associational discrimination claim brought by EEOC against national retail client
- Counseled several national employers with thousands of workers in an audit of their human resource function and developed/implemented new practices to ensure compliance with ever-changing employment laws in multiple jurisdictions
In law school, he was technical editor for the Nova Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Honor Society.
With distinctive parallels to his law practice, Jonathan hones his techniques studying Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which he has pursued for more than a decade. The ability to adapt and alter tactics against opponents carries over advantageously to legal strategy as he evaluates and modifies defensive maneuvers against plaintiffs. He approaches labor and employment challenges not only with an extensive legal background but a keen awareness that each situation necessitates an individualized approach.
- Top 10 Employment Law Tips for a Successful 2019, Jungle Island, Miami, FL, April 23, 2019.
- From Harvey Weinstein to [Insert Name]: Preventing Harassment in the Workplace and What to Do When Claims are Made, Miami, FL, April 3, 2018.
- 2017 Florida Employer Conference, Miami, FL, October 17, 2017.
- What Does a Drumpf Administration Mean for Employers?, Miami, FL, January 31, 2017.
- Corrective Action, Discipline, Termination, Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management, Supervisor Toolkit 2016, Miami, FL, November 3, 2016.
- The New Protected Class? What You Should Know About New Protections for LGBT Workers and Accommodations for Transgender Employees, Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management, Legal Update 2016, Miami, FL, September 29, 2016.
- Preparing for Change: DOL’s Final Rule on Overtime, BONES Society of Florida, Florida Association of Orthopedic Administrators, Manalapan, FL, September 17, 2016.
- Five Key HR Issues for 2016 – From Reacting to Whistleblowing Allegations to Dealing with FMLA Abuse, 2016 HR Florida Conference & Expo, Orlando, FL, August 29, 2016.
- Preparing for Pandemics and Violence in the Workplace, 6th Annual South Florida’s Premier Labor & Employment Law Conference, Miami, FL, August 19, 2016.
- Avoiding the Red Flags: Independent Contractors, Joint Employers and Other Significant Developments in Employment Law, Miami, FL, April 13, 2016.
- The Unintended Employment Relationship: Independent Contractors and Joint Employment, Florida Messenger Association Winter Meeting, Orlando, FL, January 30, 2016.
- DOL’s Proposed Changes to the White Collar Regulations: What Should Employers Do Now?, Miami, FL, July 31, 2015.
- Navigating the New Digital Workplace, Miami, FL, May 21, 2015.
- Creatively Yours: Gaining the Edge and Embracing the Future of Diversity & Inclusion, Association of Legal Administrators, South Florida Chapter, Fort Lauderdale, FL, March 20, 2015.
- Social Media and Your Company: Dos, Don’ts, and OMGs!, Miami, FL, February 25, 2014.
- Hot Topics: Current Employment and Labor Laws Affecting Employers Right Now, and Miami Open House, Miami, FL, October 17, 2013.
- The Toxic Employee, 2013 State Conference & Expo - HR Florida State Council, Orlando, FL, August 20, 2013.
- A Supervisor’s Guide To Promoting Diversity And Preventing Unlawful Harassment, Discrimination And Retaliation, Monthly Miami-Dade Luncheon - Association of Legal Administrators, South Florida Chapter, Miami, FL, August 14, 2013.
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
— United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Awards & Honors
Named, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018-2019
Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2002
University of Colorado
Bachelor of Arts, 1999
- Bishop v. Lipman & Lipman, Inc., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 71740, 35 I.E.R. Cas. (BNA) 1449, 2013 WL 2190784: lead jury trial counsel resulting in full defense verdict in complicated whistleblower case.
- Williams v. Pediatric Alt. Treatment Care, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 212269, 2017 WL 6622247: lead trial counsel resulting in favorable verdict in Title VII retaliation and disparate treatment case.
- Shannon v. AMTRAK, 2019 U.S. App. LEXIS 14775, 2019 WL 2170658: lead defense counsel that secured final summary judgment as to all counts, which the 11th Circuit Affirmed per curiam with a detailed written opinion.
- Graddy v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LP, 237 F. Supp. 3d 1223, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20676: obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national retail client and persuaded the Court to apply the “actual violation” standard in a lawsuit asserting claims under the Florida Whistleblower Act.