- Email: Raymond.Barrera@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.7947
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Raymond Barrera is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Eminent Domain & Inverse Condemnation, Public Agency & Public Finance and Construction Practices. He has over 20 years of experience representing public entities at trial, arbitrations and mediations in the areas of eminent domain, inverse condemnation, dangerous conditions of public property, construction zone accident cases and public works construction breach of contract cases.
- Representation of the California Department of Transportation in eminent domain and inverse condemnation lawsuits in the Superior Courts of Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange County involving acquisitions for the 210, 405, 10, 215 and 5 freeway widening and extension projects; Representation of the County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Los Angeles and Southern California Edison in condemnation actions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the eminent domain valuation process and representation of public entities in every stage of a condemnation case, from initial property valuations and negotiations, the filing of a condemnation case, discovery, pretrial motions, determining final offer amounts, judge and jury trials.
- Representation of the California Department of Transportation in cases involving claims of dangerous conditions of public property and construction zone accident cases in Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernardino counties.
- Representation of the California Department of Transportation in Public Works Contract Arbitrations and lawsuits involving the California Tort Claims Act.
- In-house counsel for major title insurer, responsible for managing outside litigation counsel, reviewing and responding to claims and escrow related disputes.
- Mr. Barrera is admitted to practice in all California state courts, the Federal District Court for the Central District of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Representative Court Cases
- Friends of the Hastain Trail v. Coldwater Development LLC et. al., lead trial counsel responsible for past trial motions and member of appellate team that obtained a reversal of the trial court’s judgment imposing a public trail easement on the owner’s property, 1 Cal. App. 5th 1013 (2016)
- Downey Real Estate Holding LLC v. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (2013), successful defense against plaintiff’s inverse condemnation and nuisance action and successful defense against plaintiff’s appeal
- Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority v. City of Monrovia, et al. (2013), condemnation of property required for the Gold Line’s Maintenance & Operations Facility
- Southern California Edison v. Cheiky, et. al. (2011), condemnation of Kern County electrical transmission line easements for SCE’s Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project
- County Sanitation District No. 14 v. Kato, et. al. (2010), condemnation of 61 separate parcels involving 161 separate owners and interest holders
- Southern California Edison v. Pilla (2009), condemnation of necessary electrical transmission line easements for SCE’s Tehachapi renewable transmission project
State Bar Admissions
United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
Federal District Court for the Central District of California
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- California State Bar
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- International Right of Way Association
- Arbitrator, Los Angeles County Bar Association Dispute Resolution Services
Santa Clara University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1992
University of California at Los Angeles
Bachelor of Arts in History, 1988