- Email: Raymond.Barrera@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.580.7947
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Raymond R. Barrera is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the General Liability, Construction, Eminent Domain & Inverse Condemnation, and Public Agency & Public Finance Practices. He has over 20 years of litigation experience involving trial, arbitrations and mediations in the areas of construction, eminent domain, inverse condemnation, dangerous conditions of public property, construction zone accident cases and general liability cases.
Mr. Barrera’s experience includes:
- Successfully litigated the defense of multi-million dollar construction and inverse condemnation claims.
- Recovered significant amounts of liquidated damages due to contractor delays in completing project milestone and contract completion dates for public entity clients at trial and alternative dispute resolution.
- Representation of public entities in eminent domain and inverse condemnation lawsuits in the Superior Courts of Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange County.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the eminent domain valuation process and representation of public entities in every stage of a condemnation case, from initial property valuations and negotiations, the filing of a condemnation case, discovery, pretrial motions, determining final offer amounts, judge and jury trials.
- Resolution of real estate title claims and escrow related disputes as in-house counsel for First American Title Company of Los Angeles.
Representative Court Cases
- Friends of the Hastain Trail v. Coldwater Development LLC et. al., lead trial counsel responsible for post trial motions and member of appellate team that obtained a reversal of the trial court’s judgment imposing a public trail easement on the owner’s property, 1 Cal. App. 5th 1013 (2016)
- Downey Real Estate Holding LLC v. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (2013), successful defense against plaintiff’s inverse condemnation and nuisance action and successful defense against plaintiff’s appeal
- Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority v. City of Monrovia, et al. (2013), condemnation of property required for the Gold Line’s Maintenance & Operations Facility
- Southern California Edison v. Cheiky, et. al. (2011), condemnation of Kern County electrical transmission line easements for SCE’s Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project
- County Sanitation District No. 14 v. Kato, et. al. (2010), condemnation of 61 separate parcels involving 161 separate owners and interest holders
- Southern California Edison v. Pilla (2009), condemnation of necessary electrical transmission line easements for SCE’s Tehachapi renewable transmission project
- La Casa de San Gabriel Community Center, Board Member and Secretary
- UCLA Academic Advancement Program, Council Member
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Federal District Court for the Central District of California
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- California State Bar
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- International Right of Way Association
- Arbitrator, Los Angeles County Bar Association Dispute Resolution Services
Santa Clara University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1992
University of California at Los Angeles
Bachelor of Arts in History, 1988