- Email: Brian.Arnold@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 213.358.6171
- Fax: 213.250.7900
Brian G. Arnold is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Lewis Brisbois and is a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology and the Entertainment, Media & Sports Practices. He is an experienced intellectual property attorney who focuses on IP litigation, complex commercial cases involving IP matters, and IP transactions including licensing and portfolio sales. Mr. Arnold has been the lead attorney on numerous cases, managing teams of attorneys and staff, and preparing key personnel to testify in depositions and at trial. He identifies key issues, and he advises senior leadership and boards of directors regarding IP strategy.
Mr. Arnold has handled intellectual property matters involving a wide variety of industries and technologies, including automotive service equipment, computer software, computer storage devices, computer-related imaging systems, cotton, electronics, entertainment, firelogs, food & wine, hospitality, laser amplifiers, medical devices, optical displays, portable digital audio devices, spinal instrument systems, slot machines, and toothbrushes.
Mr. Arnold has been selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer, an honor reserved for less than 5% of all attorneys, in Intellectual Property Litigation in each of the past five years.
- March 21, 2019 The Ongoing Evolution Of Patent Venue
- January 24, 2019 Copyright First Sale Doctrine Inapplicable to “Used” Digital Music: Second Circuit
- December 19, 2018 “Blurred Lines” Final Judgment May Signal Paradigm Shift for Entertainment Copyright Law
- December 05, 2018 Welcome to Lewis Brisbois’ IP & Technology Law Blog
State Bar Admissions
United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware
- United States District Court for the District of Nevada
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
United States Courts of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth, Tenth, and Federal Circuits
U.S. District Courts
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- District of Delaware
- District of Nevada
- District of New Hampshire
- Southern District of Ohio
- Western District of Tennessee
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Wisconsin
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Intellectual Property Litigation 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- President, 2011-2012
- Board Member, 2006-2013
- USC Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute
- Planning Committee, 2012-2016
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Member, Litigation Committee, 2010-2015
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Patent Litigation Committee, 2008-2012
- State Bar of California, Intellectual Property Law Section, 1999-Present
- Alliance for Children’s Rights, 2001-Present
- Pro Bono Representation of Adoptive Parents in Over 100 Foster Care Adoptions
- Snell & Wilmer Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, 2014-2015
- Young & Healthy
- Board Member, 2014-2017
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
Juris Doctor, 1996
- Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review
- Technical Editor and Executive Board Member
- Dean's Honor Roll; Dean's Scholar; Fritz Burns Scholar
Claremont Graduate University
Master of Arts, Education, 1992
- Emphasis on Secondary Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics & Science Teaching
- Bracken Fellowship; California Graduate Fellowship; GRE Analytical 800 (perfect score)
- Applied Mathematics Emphasis, including Science & Computer Science
- Dean's Honor Roll; Captain, Varsity Golf Team; Honors at Entrance
LITIGATION EXPERIENCE - REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
Spigen v. Liu, Ultraproof, and Endliss Technology (C.D. Cal., 2018-Present)
- Represent Spigen in litigation regarding utility and design patents for cell phone cases.
Mobile Tech v. InVue Security Products (C.D. Cal., 2017-2018)
- Represented Mobile Tech in patent litigation regarding mobile device security.
Luxe Hospitality Company v. Preferred Hotel Group (C.D. Cal., 2017-2018)
- Represented Luxe in trademark litigation regarding the hospitality industry.
The Ivy Tutor v. College-Connections (C.D. Cal., 2017-2018)
- Represented College-Connections in litigation involving the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Tradeline v. Supima (I.C.D.R., 2016-2018)
- Represented Supima in complex commercial arbitration with antitrust claims regarding trademark license agreement in the cotton industry.
StormTrap v. Pre-Con Products (C.D. Cal., 2017-2018 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Pre-Con Products in patent litigation involving stormwater management systems.
Jacino v. Illinois Tool Works (E.D.N.Y., 2016-2017 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Illinois Tool Works in copyright litigation involving windshield repair kits. Prevailed on six out of seven claims on summary judgment, and subsequently reached favorable settlement of remaining claim.
Unibeam Photonics v. Ondax (E.D. Tex., 2015-2016 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Ondax in patent litigation involving laser filters.
Superior Communications v. Voltstar Technologies (Fed. Cir., 2015-2016)
- Represented Superior Communications in appeal of Patent Trial and Appeal Board decision regarding power adapters.
Lindora v. Isagenix International Products Export (S.D. Cal., 2015-2016 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Isagenix in trademark infringement and unfair competition action regarding nutrition supplements and weight-loss products.
Duraflame v. Hearthmark dba Jarden Home Brands (N.D. Cal., 2011-2016 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Duraflame in patent infringement and false advertising action involving artificial firelogs and related advertising.
Children Oral Care v. United Exchange (C.D. Cal., 2014-2015 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Children Oral Care in a patent infringement action involving toothbrushes.
Interconnect Devices v. Johnstech International (N.D. Cal., 2014-2015 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Interconnect Devices in a patent infringement action involving test sockets for integrated circuits.
Illinois Tool Works v. MOC Products (S.D. Cal., 2009-2015 ~ trial victory and favorable settlement)
- Represented ITW in patent infringement action involving machines for servicing automotive transmission systems and engine intake systems. After a nearly four-week trial, obtained jury verdict totaling $5.55 million for MOC’s willful patent infringement, later enhanced to nearly $9 million. Successfully settled the dispute prior to the appeal. Featured in Law 360.
EBS Automotive Services v. Illinois Tool Works (S.D. Cal., 2009-2012 ~ favorable settlement)
- Defended Illinois Tool Works in a patent infringement action involving an automated system and methods for flushing and refilling automotive braking systems. Reached favorable settlement one week prior to trial.
Mallinckrodt v. E-Z-EM (E.D. Tex., 2007-2009 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Mallinckrodt Inc. and Liebel-Flarsheim in patent infringement action against E-Z-EM involving programmable injectors and systems for use with medical imaging devices.
Tyco Healthcare v. Medrad (W.D. Pa. & S.D. Ohio, 2007-2009 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Tyco Healthcare, Mallinckrodt and Liebel-Flarsheim in five patent infringement actions against a major competitor, Medrad, involving programmable injectors and systems for use with medical imaging devices.
Bally Gaming v. IGT (D. Nev., 2006-2008 ~ summary judgment victory, affirmed on appeal)
- Represented IGT in patent infringement action involving gaming technology. Obtained summary judgment invalidating Bally’s patent-in-suit.
Apple Computer v. Creative Labs (2006 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented Apple in several patent infringement actions against Creative Labs in district courts in California, Texas, and Wisconsin and before the U.S. International Trade Commission, involving Apple’s iPod user interface and Creative’s hardware and software products. Lead attorney for California and Texas cases.
Medtronic Sofamor Danek v. Dr. Gary Michelson (W.D. Ten., 2003-2005 ~ trial victory followed by favorable settlement)
- Member of the trial team that represented Dr. Gary Michelson and obtained a jury verdict of $560 million against a large medical device company, following a three-month jury trial and findings of breach of various licensing agreements and patent infringement on all six asserted patents related to spinal instrument systems. Featured in The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel. Reached favorable settlement of $1.35 billion for our client in 2005.
I-O Data Device USA v. SimpleTech (C.D. Cal., 2004 ~ favorable settlement)
- Represented I-O Data in case involving memory stick technology and patents for flash memory mass storage architecture.
Mars v. H.J. Heinz Company, Del Monte Corporation (2001-2003 ~ summary judgment victory)
- Represented the defendants (H.J. Heinz Company L.P., Heinz Management Company, and Del Monte Corporation) in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Mars, Inc. involving pet food products.
TRANSACTIONAL EXPERIENCE – REPRESENTATIVE DEALS
Trademark Licensing – Entertainment Industry (2015-Present)
- Represent entertainment companies in confidential trademark licensing.
Trademark Licensing – Studio Graphics (2005-Present)
- Represent studio graphics company in confidential trademark licensing.
Trademark Licensing – Wineries (2005-Present)
- Represent wineries in confidential trademark licensing.
Patent Licensing – Medical Devices (2006-2016)
- Represented licensor in confidential patent licenses involving medical devices.
Patent Portfolio Sale – Computer Software and Display Systems (2013)
- Represented seller in confidential, complex transaction involving more than a dozen patents covering computer display systems and related software.
Patent Licensing – Automotive Technology (2012)
- Represented licensee in confidential patent license involving automotive technology.
Patent and Trademark Licensing – Medical Equipment and Systems (2008)
- Represented client in confidential patent and trademark licensing involving several patents and trademarks regarding medical equipment and systems.
Patent Licensing – Medical Devices (2007)
- Represented licensor in confidential licensing of numerous patents covering medical devices.
Patent Licensing – Consumer Electronics (2006)
- Represented licensor in confidential licensing of patents covering hardware and software for consumer electronics.