Conflicts Department Manager – Los Angeles
September 06, 2019
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith is a highly regarded law firm with a diversified and nationwide business practice. We are seeking a well-qualified attorney to manage the Conflicts Department in our Los Angeles office. This is a non-practicing position. The Conflicts Department Manager will be responsible for reviewing conflict check reports and identifying, advising, analyzing and resolving potential conflicts of interest and working directly with attorneys to clear conflicts. This position ensures new matters and attorney hires are compliant with the Firm’s conflicts and risk management policies and procedures.
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) and active member of the Bar in good standing
- The appropriate candidate will have at least three (3) years experience as a Conflicts Attorney in a large law firm setting with demonstrated research and complex problem-solving skills strongly preferred. Experience with analyzing and advising on U.S. conflicts rules is required.
- Requires ability to oversee and supervise staff members as needed by the Department
- Database searching experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential and sensitive data; excellent verbal and written communications skills with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Close attention to detail, fast thinker and ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
The Conflicts Manager is responsible for clearing conflicts for all new clients, new matters, and additional party submissions, as well as new attorney hires. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Analyzing conflict reports, identifying potential conflict situations
- Perform legal research, including review of case law and jurisdictional issues related to conflicts clearance, lateral hiring, ethical walls, and related issues
- Oral and written communication with Firm attorneys and coordination, proposal, and documentation of resolutions
- Procure, review, and draft waiver letters and engagement letters from appropriate attorneys as deemed necessary in each jurisdiction
- Confirm need and establish ethical walls to screen individuals from particular clients and matters as part of conflict clearing process
- Liaise with General Counsel and other Firm attorneys to identify business conflict issues and review and approve conflicts forms as necessary
- Occasional assistance may be needed to cover urgent conflict issues that arise outside normal hours of the department
- Answering queries from professional staff across the firm concerning conflict checks and processes.
You will also be responsible for maintaining conflicts training for lawyers and professional staff across the firm, as well as developing new procedures as needed for streamlining conflict check requests and consult on systems to improve conflict checks firm wide. You will also need to work on ad hoc projects that may arise from time to time.
Salary commensurate with experience. Please send cover letter and resume either by e-mail to LARecruiter@lewisbrisbois.com or by fax to (213) 250-7900, ATTN: LA Recruiter.Back to Career Search