Accounts Payable Supervisor – Los Angeles
April 03, 2019
Established in 1979, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP (“Lewis Brisbois”) is a national, full-service law firm with more than 1,300 attorneys and 44 offices in 26 states.
We are listed among the prestigious AmLaw 100 and ranked 9th in the Law360 400 list of the nation’s largest law firms. We offer an excellent rewards package that includes competitive compensation, medical, dental and life insurance, vacation and sick pay, as well as a wide range of voluntary benefits.
We currently have an opportunity for an Accounts Payable Supervisor in our firm-wide A/P department in downtown Los Angeles. Under the guidance of the Accounts Payable Manager and the Assistant Manager and in collaboration with the peer Supervisor the position is responsible for the oversight and direction of the daily accounts payable functions to ensure all invoices for the Firm are processed and paid timely and accurately, ensuring compliance to the department policies and procedures; maintain vendor relationships and assist in resolving all bill discrepancies, and processing 1099s at year-end. Responsibilities also include personnel management of 8-10 Accounts Payable Clerks/Specialists. Excellent analytical ability, communication, interaction and a high level of professional service is required in order to effectively and efficiently perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. Note that this is a hands-on supervisory position which requires taking part in all levels of Accounts Payable operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
The following is intended to describe the general nature of the job. The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned in addition to those listed. The items listed below are considered daily functions associated with this position:
- Daily supervision of Accounts Payable staff including timesheet review and approval.
- Ensure staff adherence to Firm policies and procedures.
- Address HR topics promptly and effectively.
- Monitor employee productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching.
- Prepare and conduct annual staff reviews.
- Coordinate new employee training on department procedures and AP programs.
- Direct and coordinate daily activities of the AP Department to include check requests, expense reimbursements and vendor payments/issues.
- Manage workflow and ensure work is effectively distributed and processed.
- Review invoice processing for accuracy and timeliness of payment.
- Print, void and reissue checks.
- Manage the firm’s fraud management banking processes.
- Assist with administering the Firm’s credit card program.
- Provide AP reports and analyses upon request from management and partners.
- Provide firm wide support to secretaries, attorneys, and other departments regarding client charges, vendor payments, expense reimbursements and rush requests.
- Strengthen collaboration and improve workflow between accounting departments.
- Resolve technical issues with the Firm’s Accounting software regarding AP programs.
- Work with AP Manager on system improvements, month end close and special projects.
- Oversee the department in the manager’s absence.
- Other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise in a high volume, fast paced changing environment.
- Detail oriented and the ability to maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to manage and coach staff.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Accustomed to working with deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of accounting fundamentals.
- Excellent Excel, Word, and 10-key skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred.
- Six or more years Accounts Payable experience.
- Four or more years supervisory experience in Accounts Payable, preferably in an insurance defense law firm.
- Strong working knowledge of Accounting systems.
- Works well in team environment.
- Ability to adapt easily to new procedures, policies and systems.
Occasional lifting of heavy paperwork such as checks. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking, standing, bending, kneeling, lifting, or carrying.
MORE ABOUT LEWIS BRISBOIS:
We offer legal practice in more than 35 specialties and a multitude of subspecialties associated with each practice area. Our national practice is sophisticated, multi-faceted, and well versed in current legal trends, while our individual state practices provide vast resources and knowledge of procedural and legal nuances. Lewis Brisbois is known for its commitment to principled advocacy, an unflinching work ethic, and unyielding recognition of our duty to provide the highest level of service to our clients, who choose us because we take the time to understand their business interests and philosophies. The same service standards are also the objective for our functional and staff professional departments. Diversity is also an integral part of our culture and daily life, and Lewis Brisbois has repeatedly received national recognition for our commitment to embracing diversity, including recent rankings by Law360 as the 3rd best firm in the United States for diversity and 4th best for women.
Lewis Brisbois is committed to equal employment opportunity in hiring, employment and promotion decisions. Lewis Brisbois seeks to employ and advance the best qualified employee without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), denial of family and medical care leave, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or membership in any other protected classes recognized by federal or applicable state or local law.
Please submit your resume and cover letter containing your salary requirements to LARecruiterAP@lewisbrisbois.com and include “Accounts Payable Supervisor” in the subject line.Back to Career Search