- Email: Johner.Wilson@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 312.463.3340
- Fax: 312.345.1778
Johner "J.T." Wilson is a partner in the Chicago office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Employment & Labor and Transportation Practices.
Mr. Wilson represents clients before state and federal courts, and various administrative agencies. Mr. Wilson actively handles wage and hour class action, retaliation, whistleblower, Title VII, age and disability discrimination claims on the state and federal levels. And Mr. Wilson protects clients’ interests during OSHA workplace investigations and the contest of any subsequent citation.
Mr. Wilson works with public and private corporations of various sizes. Mr. Wilson helps his clients manage costs during the pre-litigation phase and minimize financial exposure at trial. Mr. Wilson also advances his clients’ interests in matters pending before various administrative agencies.
While at Lewis Brisbois, Mr. Wilson has:
- Effectively defended a home healthcare agency client’s “on call” policies against a potential wage and hour class action suit before the Federal District Court.
- Effectively defended a national roofing company client’s fall protection and site inspection policies in administrative law proceedings brought by OSHA and the Department of Labor before the OSHRC.
- Effectively defended a national faith-based community organization client’s temporary housing policies and procedures against alleged disability discrimination claims brought before the Chicago Commission on Human Rights.
- Effectively defended a publishing company client’s worker classification procedures against alleged disability discrimination and failure to accommodate charges (in violation of the ADA) before the EEOC and Illinois Department of Human Rights.
- Secured a favorable decision from the Appellate Court of Illinois - First District for a police officer/municipal client sued in his official capacity for personal injuries resulting from a motor vehicle accident involving the officer’s minor son, who was driving the officer’s take home police vehicle at the time of the accident.
- Secured a voluntary dismissal of claims against a property management company from a plaintiff that had allegedly slipped and fallen in the lobby of a mixed-use property.
- September 08, 2017 JT Wilson to Present at DRI Annual Meeting
Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgarrd & Smith LLP, Mr. Wilson was a partner at Daley Mohan Groble, P.C., a Chicago law firm with a regional footprint. Mr. Wilson managed litigated claims of private and public companies as a lead trial attorney before the United States District Courts and circuit courts of the State of Illinois respectively, involving product liability, employment, premises liability, commercial, casualty, Federal Employers’ Liability Act and civil rights/Section 1983. Also, Mr. Wilson managed case files from inception through trial and any subsequent appeal.
- DRI, Vice-Chair of Partnering with Industry, 2012-2013
- DRI, Vice-Chair of Publications, 2013-2014
- Steppenwolf Theater – Auxiliary Council, Co-Chairperson of Partnerships, 2011-2013
- University of Illinois at Chicago Lettermen’s Club – Secretary of Board, 2011-2014; President, 2014-present
- The Christ Disciples Baptist Church of Chicago, Illinois Inc. - Board of Directors, 2010-present
- DePaul Law Black Alumni Foundation – Vice President of Education and Events, 2011-present
- Chicago Public Schools - Volunteer Head Coach, 5/6 Grade Boys Basketball, 2010-2014
- Salem Baptist District Association, Inc. - General Secretary, 2009-2013
- The Millennial Effect – Impact Millennials Have on Claims, Discovery and Trial, Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel, June 9, 2017
- Race, Gender & Ethnicity: The Elephant (and Zebra) in the Courtroom, DRI Webinar, April 19, 2017
- Strategies to Achieve Early Resolution of Employment Claims, Charges and Suits, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, November 14, 2016
- Monitoring the Sandbox: Playing Safely in the Workplace, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, September 28, 2016
- Can We All Just Get Along (Part II): Emerging Trends in Employment Law Affecting the Way We Do Business, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel Annual Meeting, July 27, 2016
- Caring for the Caring: Proactive Steps to Avoid Illegal Sexual Harassment and Workplace Violence in the Healthcare Arena, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP, May 14, 2016
- Where Do We Stand: Party Considerations Affecting Pre-Trial Settlement Negotiations, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Judicial Panel), April 28, 2016
- Who Is Counting: Wage and Hour Requirements Under the FLSA and IL Wage Payment and Collection Act, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP, February 16, 2016
- To Be Or Not To Be: Questions Raised By Browning-Ferris, Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, December 16, 2015
- The Affordable Care Act: The End of Future Medical Expenses?! Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, November 12, 2015
- From Internship to Innovation: Making the Right Career Moves, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Business, January 28, 2015
- Getting In The Game: A Strategic Approach to Networking and Interviewing, University of Illinois at Chicago, December 4, 2014
- Hot Topics in Employment Law, Team B2B Naperville Chamber of Commerce, September 18, 2014
- Is It Legal? Navigating the Dos and Don’ts of the Employment Process, University Club of Chicago, September 10, 2014
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: The End of Future Medical Expenses? National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel Annual Meeting, July 28, 2014
Federal Trial Bar
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Illinois Supreme Court
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) – Vice Chair, Employment Law Committee 2017-present, Member 2016-present
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel – Executive Committee Member 2014-present; Young Attorneys Executive Advisory Board Member, 2011-2014
- National Employment Law Council, 2015-present
- DRI, The Voice of the Defense Bar – Civil Rights/Governmental Liability, Employment and Labor Law, and Transportation Sections, 2011-present
DePaul University College of Law
Juris Doctor, 2002
- Recipient of an Illinois Judicial Court Scholarship, 2001
- Memberships: The Student Organization & Establishment Committee, Endowment Fund, Black Law Student Association, Appellate Advocacy Team, The Executive Board, Black Law Association (Chairman), Student Mentor Program and Student Bar Association
University of Illinois at Chicago
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 1999
- Dean's List
- Men's Varsity Basketball