- Email: Alyssa.Watzman@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 720.292.2052
- Fax: 303.861.7767
Alyssa Watzman is a partner in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Government Investigations Practice. Her practices focuses on government and internal investigations as well as on related compliance matters and civil litigation. Alyssa has significant experience representing and advising multinational corporations, boards of directors, board committees, and individuals in connection with regulatory enforcement actions, internal investigations, whistleblower complaints, and compliance matters related to alleged violations of the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). She has represented client interests in numerous legal settings including interviews, negotiations, depositions, and hearings. Alyssa has handled matters involving the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as other domestic and foreign regulators.
Before joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, Alyssa was a Litigation Associate in the New York office of an AmLaw 100 firm. She also worked as an intern at the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Labor, and for various local and national news publications. Alyssa earned her J.D. from NYU School of Law in 2007 where she was a Robert McKay Scholar and a Staff Editor on the Annual Survey of American Law. She received her B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Maryland in 2004.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a client whose subsidiary allegedly violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by bribing foreign government officials to secure business. Presented findings to auditors to secure financial statement approval. Advised on issues related to self-reporting.
- Managed an investigation on behalf of a Special Litigation Committee created following an accident at a company property to determine if company executives were aware of the conditions that caused the accident, breaching their fiduciary duties to shareholders. Drafted a report and presented findings to the committee.
- Served as lead counsel for a multinational company investigated by domestic and foreign regulators for alleged antitrust law violations resulting from involvement in bid rigging and price fixing.
- Represented an individual investigated for wrongdoing by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission following an investment bank’s declaration of bankruptcy.
- Participated in all aspects of complex investigations and litigations by researching and analyzing challenging legal issues. Drafted related memoranda, pleadings, motions, briefs, and findings reports.
- Conducted and drafted summaries, affidavits, and reports related to interviews with critical fact and expert witnesses. Led depositions for a pro bono client and participated in those taken in multi-billion dollar securities cases. Executed opening statements, arguments, and examinations in immigration cases.
- Coordinated discovery in numerous matters, some of which involved evidence and witnesses located abroad. Managed a large team of attorneys, negotiated with opposing counsel, coordinated with joint defense counsel, and represented client interests in discovery disputes.
- Consistently maintained a pro bono docket representing those seeking Asylum, U-Visa, and T-Visa status. Received Sanctuary for Families 2010 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Advocacy for developing a program to regularly represent U-Visa applicants.
New York University School of Law, New York, NY
Juris Doctor, 2007
- Robert McKay Scholar (Top 25%)
- Annual Survey of American Law, Staff Editor
University of Maryland, College Park, MD
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 2004
- Journalism, Government & Politics
- Phi Beta Kappa; Kappa Tau Alpha (Journalism)
- Dean’s List (All semesters)
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence
- College Park Scholars Citation (Media, Self, & Society)
- Diamondback Newspaper, Writer and Beat Reporter
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honor, Fraternity President and Committee Chair