- Email: Joseph.Tynan@lewisbrisbois.com
- Phone: 504.302.0484
- Fax: 504.754.7569
Joseph P. Tynan is a partner in the New Orleans office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Admiralty, Maritime & Energy Litigation Practice. He is engaged in an admiralty and maritime practice involving marine insurance coverage, hull and machinery claims, collisions, groundings, property damage, and maritime product liability cases, as well as charter parties, maritime liens and protection and indemnity defense matters. He also has experience before the Office of Administrative Law Judges for the U.S. Coast Guard in license suspension and revocation hearings, and with employment discrimination claims, particularly as they involve maritime clients. Prior to passing the bar, Mr. Tynan sailed as an ordinary seaman and helmsman in the deck department of U.S. flag merchant vessels.
Mr. Tynan is a member of the bar of Louisiana, and is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas. He has tried a number of cases in state and federal courts in Louisiana, and in federal courts in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.
Mr. Tynan successfully presented the case of First Nat'l Bank of Jefferson v. M/V LIGHTNING POWER, 776 F.2d 1258 before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, which refined the standards under which a district court may set aside for an insufficient price a public auction by the U.S. Marshal of a vessel under arrest. He also successfully argued the case of Nicholson Mgt. & Consultants, Inc. v. Bergman, 96-0557 (La. App. 4 th Cir. 9/25/96), 681 So.2d 471,writ den., 96-2588 (La.1/6/97) 685 So.2d 126, which is the only case to interpret and determine the prescriptive period or statute of limitations for an oblique or third-party action brought under Articles 2041 and 2044 of the Louisiana Civil Code.
More recently, he obtained dismissal of two cases before the Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal, successfully arguing that his client had no legal duty to the plaintiff longshoremen for asbestos exposure, ultimately resulting in the voluntary or involuntary dismissal of forty-one similar cases filed by longshoremen against his client. Palermo v. Port of New Orleans, 933 So.2d 168 (La. App. 4 Cir. 2006); on reh’g, 951 So.2d 425 (La. App. 4th Cir. 2007); Faulkner v. The McCarty Corp., 853 So.2d 24 (La. App. 4th Cir. 2003).
Born in Boston, Massachusetts, Mr. Tynan received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Notre Dame, and he was awarded his Juris Doctor by the Tulane University School of Law.
- July 14, 2017 Gulf Coast Legal Update - Summer 2017
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1978
U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1978
U.S. Supreme Court
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Bench & Bar Section, 2001 - Present, Chair
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- New Orleans Bar Association, 2007 - Present, Member, Board of Directors
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- World Trade Center Louisiana, Member, Advisory Board
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - 2017 (Admiralty & Maritime)
- Listed in Super Lawyers for 2007, 2012 - 2017 (Transportation/Maritime)
- Louisiana Top Lawyers, 2015 - 2016
- New Orleans Top Lawyers, 2015 - 2016
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale Hubbell
Tulane Law School, New Orleans, Louisiana
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
Bachelor of Arts